PDA

View Full Version : Criterion prefits

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

mattri
04-13-2011, 06:33 PM
1500j welcome to the forum.

That is one awesome loooking rifle, tell us more about it.

1500j
04-13-2011, 08:16 PM
It has the Savage Precision Target Action right bolt Left Port as a base. I got the Bell And Carlson Medalist stock from Stockystocks with 4.4 spaced screws. Stock only came with 2 screws holes, so I fiberglassed in a 3rd pillar for the center screw that the PTA has. I need to float the stock out a bit for the barrel, its just touching with the full bull.

Now the barrel is a 28 inch 1-9 barrel made by Criterion. 7mmRSAUM. I hope either the 162 a-max shoots well, or the 180 VLD Berger.

Its mostly for play, but may enter some local F_Class if it performs.

It has the Weaver 20MOA base with Weaver 6 screw rings. I like the idea of aluminum above the action. Less mass to move under recoil. Just a theory tho.... Scope is a 16xSS SWFA. The scope actually is better than I thought it would be. It flares quite a bit looking anywheres close to the sun tho...

I have two bolts for this gun. The standard (308 size) and the Magnum size. I hope to be able to run 2-3 different set ups off this action. Id like to have a 22-25o barrel, 243 barrel and the 7mmSAUM and possibly a 308 someday.

That about sums it up. I travel to WY a couple times a year, and have access to ranges well over a mile out there :)

Thanks.

Turk1961
04-14-2011, 08:50 AM
I think I have one of these barrels on order. Or maybe not. I have not heard from Jim yet about the total price with shipping. So I have not paid for it yet.

Anybody heard from Jim in the last week or so?

Are you out there Jim?

Perhaps he has not received my order. Anyone know for sure Jim's email address?

BoilerUP
04-14-2011, 08:56 AM
With SSS damn near impossible to get ahold of (and seemingly unwilling to answer emails), seems like a lot of business has shifted to Jim & NSS.

I have found it sometimes takes a day or two for him to touch base with you...but he always does, even after 8pm sometimes.

Jim's email is on the NSS page and is briggs.j-b@q.com....but my experience is email replies are more hit-or-miss than phone calls.

snipecatcher
04-14-2011, 11:20 AM
I think I have one of these barrels on order. Or maybe not. I have not heard from Jim yet about the total price with shipping. So I have not paid for it yet.

Anybody heard from Jim in the last week or so?

Are you out there Jim?

Perhaps he has not received my order. Anyone know for sure Jim's email address?

Definitely give him a call. I've always done my business with Jim over the phone. He is a great guy to deal with.
-Dan

Hog Assassin
04-14-2011, 12:03 PM
Plus one on Jim Briggs being a great guy with whom to do business. I have a barrel on order with him which I placed last week and I had to use the phone. Jim could not have been more helpful (or knowledgeable for that matter) and it was an enjoyable experience. This is not my first order with Jim and it certainly will not be my last. Thanks Jim!

Bob

Bryan m
04-15-2011, 12:17 AM
I agree Jim is top notch. I am very new to the Savage stuff and had a few questions, which Jim was great to walk me through. I ordered a bbl from him last week, I think it was Thursday or Friday and got a call from his wife on Monday that they had already shipped it. I do know that he had his call waiting turned off so now you just get a busy tone if he's on the horn. Keep calling, eventually it will ring.

Oh yeah, 1500j, that thing's wickedly cool. Post some results when it's up and running.

okey
04-15-2011, 12:37 AM
I agree Jim is top notch. I am very new to the Savage stuff and had a few questions, which Jim was great to walk me through. I ordered a bbl from him last week, I think it was Thursday or Friday and got a call from his wife on Monday that they had already shipped it. I do know that he had his call waiting turned off so now you just get a busy tone if he's on the horn. Keep calling, eventually it will ring.

Oh yeah, 1500j, that thing's wickedly cool. Post some results when it's up and running.

Noooooo!!!!!! Leave him alone so he will have time to ship my barrel. :)

Okey

Turk1961
04-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Could someone PM me Jim's phone number so I could call him?

Thanks,

Richard

bootsmcguire
04-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Here you go Turk1961, straight from Jim's section here.....

Contact Information for NSS:
E-mail - briggs.j-b@q.com (that is Q.com not G.com)
Phone - 763/682-4296
Fax - 763/682-6098
Mailing address:
PO Box 333
Buffalo, MN 55313

Thanks in advance for everyone's patience.

Jim Briggs
NSS

Hope that helps.

Cover Dog
04-15-2011, 09:00 PM
I talked with Jim today wanting to order a barrel his site said was in stock. Not to be, he is a little behind in updating his in stock/out of stock barrel list. So don't just think he has what you want because it says "in stock".

oapstate
04-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Has anyone bought a sporter or heavy sporter? I'm wanting to build a lighter weight hunting rifle in 6.5x47.

VjjR
04-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Has anyone bought a sporter or heavy sporter? I'm wanting to build a lighter weight hunting rifle in 6.5x47.

Do It! And report back

bajabill
04-16-2011, 12:35 PM
I just got my 65x284 in heavy sporter, 24 inch because I intend to do some stand hunting. Have not shot it yet.

oapstate
04-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Baja, what stock do you plan on using?

northlander
04-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Here's an update, my phone system has been fighting me somewhat. I have had some calls go to the automated phone answering system even when I was available. Some of these seem to have gone to ??? ?. I now have all overload lines and answering systems eliminated. If you call and it rings busy I am actually on the phone now. If I miss your call you will have to call back.

I was gone for the last 4 days hunting Turkey. Brenda and I have spent the entire day getting caught up with almost all outstanding orders if I have the parts, barrels or rifles in stock. My order lead times are down to a few days if the phone does not keep me too busy.

I had a call from a very talented California shooter that installed his Large Shank - 6.5X47 Lapua Criterion Barrel. He shot it at a NRA sanctioned shoot and missed tying the current Worlds Record 600 yard F-Class score by one point. These Criterion Barrels have really been shooting well.

Jim Briggs
NSS

bootsmcguire
04-17-2011, 11:48 PM
Here's a little range report on my new CBI. Its a 28 inch SS Varmint Taper on a standard shank and chambered in 6BR with a 1-8" twist.
This group was shot today under calm weather conditions. I did shoot 1 and clean for the first shot and then every 3 up through shot #20. Let the barrel cool and clean again. Then made this 5 shot group at 100yds.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/6br-shots21-25onnewbarrel-58grV-MaxandVarget-04-17-2011-100yds.jpg

Sorry about the blurry shot, had to use my phone camera again, since the Kodak was being difficult as ussual.
Shot measured .331" center to center of the two farthest shots. Load was a 58gr V-Max over Varget and a CCI Small Rifle Primer. It was just the starting load in my manual and I would say it shows real promise.

This CBI is going to be a real shooter I think.

Tackdriver
04-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Here's a little range report on my new CBI. Its a 28 inch SS Varmint Taper on a standard shank and chambered in 6BR with a 1-8" twist.
This group was shot today under calm weather conditions. I did shoot 1 and clean for the first shot and then every 3 up through shot #20. Let the barrel cool and clean again. Then made this 5 shot group at 100yds.

http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/6br-shots21-25onnewbarrel-58grV-MaxandVarget-04-17-2011-100yds.jpg

Sorry about the blurry shot, had to use my phone camera again, since the Kodak was being difficult as ussual.
Shot measured .331" center to center of the two farthest shots. Load was a 58gr V-Max over Varget and a CCI Small Rifle Primer. It was just the starting load in my manual and I would say it shows real promise.

Were you able to seat the 58gr Vmax to the lands? Or did you just pick a COL to go with?

bootsmcguire
04-18-2011, 12:12 AM
Just kinda picked what looked good. Wanted enough in the neck to be well supported and provide some resistance but wanted to be as long as possible. I don't remember what length I went with, I wrote it down in my load book and I don't have it in front of me at this moment. There is still a good amount of jump I know.

I also loaded some 100gr Seirra's Sptz and had them just off the lands and the best I got out of them was 1.375ish for 3 shots (I shot 3 groups of 3). I didn't have a lot of hope for those anyway but I figured I had them I'll give them a try.

I have a few others to play with so we will see but I just thought that was pretty darn good for right out of the gate with just a thrown together load to break in the barrel, using the 58's.

VjjR
04-18-2011, 01:56 AM

No picture of the rifle?