PDA

View Full Version : Criterion prefits

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

BoilerUP
02-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Seeing those pictures, especially given I have a 260 CBI tube myself, I'd do almost anything for a heavy-barrel LA stock right about now... >:(

Jim, if you could ship that BVSS stock to me early this week it'd be greaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat ;D ;D ;D

snipecatcher
02-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Got mine screwed on the other day and just put some loads through it yesterday. The best measured .8", and if not for one flier, would have been less than .5". The other 4 groups were over 1", but this was the first time I've sat down and shot it, so I expect that to change. The barrel appears very well made, and the stamping that goes around the barrel is a nice touch; it is visible no matter where your barrel ends up. I'm very happy with it.

wbm
02-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Got a Criterion in a Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor from Jim. I am impressed with the quality of the barrel and it's performance with Hornady factory 140g A-Max ammunition. After 40 rounds of factory not one group has been over .5 MOA. Two 8 shot groups averaged .48 and .40". Three shot groups (Bergers are pricey) with 41.5g of RL-17 and 140 VLD's were in the 3's.

The bore and exterior are flawless and after break-in and some cautious cleaning with Remington bore cleaner with a dusting of super-fine polishing compound the barrel looks like a mirror inside. Be sure and read Kreiger's barrel break-in procedures. One way to tell the quality of a crown is to carefully examine the pattern left on the muzzle after firing. The Criterion is perfect and exhibits a beautifully balanced star pattern. Of all the after market barrels I have purchased over many years the Criterion is number one on the list. My only negative would be the concave recess of the crown...it is a bit too shallow. But since I don't think I will be putting the muzzle down on a pickup floor (never did understand the wisdom of that move) this should not be a problem. ::)

northlander
02-21-2011, 11:33 PM
OK guys, I just took 24 boxes to UPS for delivery to you deserving shooters. A few stocks but at least 21 boxes were Criterion and Shilen Barrels. No excuses now for some of you to not post your results as soon as you get your rigs assembled. I have another 57 Criterion Barrels on back order so if Brenda has not called you yet advising you that your order has shipped you are not too far from receiving your call. The 7mm Barrels are the next batch to ship as soon as they arrive. The 20 Cal. Barrels are now in production and should be here in 3 or 4 weeks.

I do have about a half dozen of the 26" Varmint Barrels in 6 BR Norma in stock for those of you that are looking. I even got in another batch of the 30" Bull Barrels in several calibers. I have been receiving some very nice calls from the shooters that are finally getting their Critetion Barrels shooting.

Jim Briggs
NSS

GaCop
02-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Oh Man, I can't wait, hopefully my 6.5X47 Lapua is in that bunch!

rsbhunter
02-22-2011, 04:05 PM
I GOT THE CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Will be here the 24th(thurs)...260 AI...just need to get it headspaced, scope mounted, am going to use tupperware stock for fireforming....will keep you posted....anyone here ever use the "deadnutz" scope mounts? Have one on my 200 in .223, do they work well on the bigger bores? Thanks...rsbhunter ;D ;D

barrel-nut
02-22-2011, 09:12 PM
Have a CBI 26" .308 varmint profile, and a Model 12 VLP single shot action with factory laminated stock, all from Jim. Just waiting (and waiting...) on a .308 bolt head from Savage Gunsmithing to be able to finally put it all together... (the VLP action had a .223 bolt head). Weather is beautiful down here, 75 degrees and sunny, but all I can do is wait....
Will post results as soon as build is complete!

Cover Dog
02-22-2011, 09:37 PM
I also got the call on Monday. My 6mmBR will be here tomorrow. But, it will be awhile until I can get out. We still have plenty of snow here in N.E. Ohio.

one_shot
02-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Just purchased a CBI 6BR barrel, stock, and trigger in Varmint contour from Jim along with all the necessities. I will post as I get it together and definitely after I hit the range. :)

SMK Shoe
02-23-2011, 02:42 AM
Oh Man, I can't wait, hopefully my 6.5X47 Lapua is in that bunch!

GaCop, seems like we are doing our build's with the same stuff and same time. My 6.5 X 47 Lapua barrel is in the same UPS shipment. Been reading alot on these barrels and havn't heard anything negitive. Can't wait to get it built. (putting it on a Target Action). I WILL be ordering more of these ;D ;D ;D

Cover Dog
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Big Brown just left the property....WOW if this 6mmBr 8t 26" varmint barrel shoots as good as the bore looks, better order up now boys, cause these are gonna be in short supply. If the reports that are going to start coming in are as good as I think they will be, this will be Jim's flagship line of barrels.

Good choice Jim, now start ordering more barrels so we won't have a long wait.

BoilerUP
02-23-2011, 06:54 PM
FINALLY got to shoot my .260 Rem barrel...but had to drag the rifle from Indiana to San Antonio, TX with me in order to do it. ;D

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c381/avboiler11/175082_10100284993652368_13704486_58699644_159146_ o.jpg

I sighted in the scope and started the barrel break-in at 100yd with Remington factory 120gr NBT ammo before switching to some handloads. This was my first time at a "real" range, and first time shooting off of a "sled" type rest which took a little getting used to. It was also the first time I fired more than 20rd in a single sitting in nearly 3 years.

I discovered a couple things:

1. The barrel is a shooter, better than I can perform at right now
2. I need a LOT more trigger time sending rounds downrange time before I post target pictures here ;)

The load I use to hunt whitetail in my Remington 700 Mountain LSS (41.5gr H380 under 120gr Nosler BT) performed very well; I pulled two of five shots 1.5" high but I did get a 3-shot group about the size of a nickel.

43.0gr 4831SC (120gr A-Max and virgin Nosler brass) was decent, but I couldn't get comfortable so while 3 shots are inside an inch, one flier opens it up to 1.5" and another flier opens the group up to just over 2".

43.5gr 4831SC shot better, with 3 shots nearly in a dime and two fliers. 44.0gr 4831SC started very strongly; first two shots in one hole, the third pulled 1/4" to 10 o'clock, and the last two pulled by me.

No velocities as I don't have a chronograph, but there were zero pressure signs (although the bolt was a *little* sticky after firing the Rem factory ammo).

Like I said, I need a LOT more range time but I'm very impressed by the barrel and will likely be purchasing another in the next few months.

02-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Are the 260's chambered in such a way that long loaded 140/142gr bullets will still be ok? I would like to order one, but I am a little "gunshy". My last McGowen 260 would not accept the longer loaded bullets even though I told em that is what I wanted to shoot out of it. I still don't have a 260 bolt gun, and one of these would be just fine, if every thing good to go with the longer bullet/seating.

BoilerUP
02-23-2011, 09:03 PM
Looks like lostart had pretty good luck with 140gr SMKs...

02-23-2011, 10:22 PM
I saw the pix, but don't have coal info, so I am curious. I would have been able to shoot the 140s out of that McGowen, but would have been stuck with the bullet farther into the case than I would like so I sold it. My DPMS 260 is fine for shooting em out farther, and I would like to be able to do the same with a bolt gun.

SMK Shoe
02-23-2011, 10:40 PM
To shoot the longer bullets you could pick up a hand throater. I have one for 6.5MM. works good as long as you take you time and measure alot. I have three 6.5mmBR barrels, 1 6.5X47 lapua and three different 6.5 Grendel barrels. Most of the smaller cased 6.5's seem to have a short throat. I like the 120-140's for high BC's. Just my .02$

lostart
02-23-2011, 11:32 PM
That's the only thing that I am somewhat disappointed about....the free bore dimensions. Max coal in mine is 2.78 with the 140's. Looking into maybe having the throat lengthend at the moment. I used a long action and was wanting to take advantage of that. But, I'm kind of apprehensive about screwing with it right now. It just shoots great the way it is. I took it out in the snow today and shot some clays at 400, so predictable it was almost boring. I'm really happy with mine.

jwpark
02-23-2011, 11:35 PM
I'm sure if you requested it, Jim would have had the barrel chambered to your freebore spec from the manufacturer

lostart
02-24-2011, 12:03 AM
I am sure that he would have. It wasn't something that I thought of. I knew that I was getting a standard prefit. I'm very happy with the barrel and will be ordering more. The bore is very smooth and a cinch to clean. Next ill probably get a magnum contour 300 mag or a 223ai.

02-24-2011, 12:47 AM
"Max coal in mine is 2.78 with the 140's"

Oh, crap, that sucks!!!! My McGowen was 2.765 max.

I suppose having one made that way is the way to go. I was hoping to hear good things so I could just pick one up that was in stock, but no luck there. lostart, thanks for the info!!! After waiting about 2 years for my DPMS 260, and having trouble with 2 McGowen barrels, I am not too keen on the order and wait thing.