PDA

View Full Version : Help with project

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

ctrout
03-14-2012, 09:37 PM
I was a paying member here at one time so I am aware that there are classifieds for paying members so if this post is deemed inappropriate an removed, I will completely understand although this isn't exactly a WTS or WTB ad. I am active duty Air Force and have 4 kids so I am of very limited means. I am also an assistant scoutmaster for Troop 57 in Mountain Home Idaho and would like to build a special gift for one of my scouts. He turned 18 so he is no longer actually in the troop but he made Eagle just in the nick of time so he will be having his promotion ceremony on the 31st. His family is in much more dire straits than mine and they really can't afford a good hunting rifle for him so he borrows one of mine every year. They borrow shotguns from me too, in fact, they have had my Benelli M1 for about 6 months now. Anyway, this kid is really special and deserves a great gift for his Eagle promotion and I would like to build him a rifle of his own. I have never met another kid like him. He is mature, respectful, trustworthy, and epitomizes the Scout Oath and Law like no other scout I have known in my several years with this troop. I would trust this 18 year old kid with my life or my daughter any day! What I am asking is for anyone who has any parts that they could spare to donate to this build. All I have to start with is a factory birch stock and an action wrench and barrel nut wrench. I would like to build it in 30-06 because he loves to hunt elk and mulies and I think it's a great caliber (although I don't own one myself). If there is any way I could get the barrel, action, scope, rings, mount, trigger group donated that would be awesome. Either way, if most or some could be donated, I might be able to scrounge enough cash to cover the items that are not donated. I was just going to give him my 14 year old's 270 because he really has no interest in hunting at this point but I just can't bring myself to give up on him yet.

Wards75
03-14-2012, 10:16 PM
I have a Steven's 200 I just bought for a 243 build. The current barrel is a 308 and I am awaiting my new barrel from Jim Briggs @ Northland....I know its not a 06 but I am willing to donate it to you for him if you want it. I am a former scout, missed Eagle by a few months cause I turned 18....anywho, let me know..

Steven

ctrout
03-14-2012, 10:24 PM
Awesome! Thank you! I will see what action becomes available. If someone is willing to part with a short action, I'll get back with you. If I am able to get a long action, I'll hold out a while to see if an '06 barrel shows up. I know that I could build the '08 on a long action but we'll see what shows up.

fgw_in_fla
03-15-2012, 12:00 AM
I believe I have a few extra scopes. They're nuthin' fancy but, they do work. I'll look in my stash area & shoot you a PM tomorrow. I need to drag my butt to the bed.... Long day.

Frank in Fla.

kschilling
03-15-2012, 12:11 AM
Are we trying to make this happen by the 31st? ??? :o I don't have anything in my stash now, but I run across long action .30-06's all time down in TX. I'll look around...

Ken

ctrout
03-15-2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all the support guys. I don't want to take delivery on anything until I know that all of the major components are covered. Triggers and such are easy to come by but my primary concern is of course, the action. I would like to have it ready by the 31st if possible but that's not really necessary because I hesitate to present it in front of the troop because I don't want to generate any false expectations or create an embarrassing or uncomfortable situation for his father. Can anybody do laser etching in the stock for me? The BSA Fleur de Lis with his name and rank engraved would be a nice touch.

kslefty
03-15-2012, 07:49 AM
I have a .270 take off barrel if interested. Also could come up with a set of burris or leupold bases.

JCalhoun
03-15-2012, 02:15 PM
ctrout;

I have a .30-06 blued sporter barrel I can let go. Also have some .30-06 reloading stuff I will let go with it.

ctrout
03-15-2012, 03:57 PM
So with my stock, I have had offers of a barrel (either JCalhoun's '06 or Wards75's 308, depending on what action length becomes available), a scope and mount, and small bits and pieces as necessary. At this point, all that is needed is the action, bolt assembly, and trigger group. I would still like to have the engraving work done but there is a very good chance that I will be able to find a local business willing to help with that.

fgw_in_fla
03-15-2012, 06:40 PM
Bolt!?!?? Did he say bolt? :o :o :o

I'll look around the armory & repair area in the west end of the homestead here. I may be able to hook you up on a bolt or at least the bulk of the parts for a bolt. You may need to locate an extractor , spring & ball - ejector, spring & pin. The small parts are available at Midway & such.

I'll have a look see & drop by a little later this evening ;)

Frank "Lightning 'BOLT' in Fla...

ctrout
03-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Getting closer. Thanks. The last four 110s that I bought as complete rifles to tear down and customize cost me between $200-$225 out the door. That was probably in 2008-2009. One even had a scope on it. If all the parts are provided with the exception of the action, how much is a bare action going for these days?

JCalhoun
03-15-2012, 11:42 PM
You can pick up a used Savage in a pawn shop for about $200.

ctrout
03-16-2012, 12:12 AM
So would it be realistic to hope for a used action on here for $75-$100?

dcloco
03-16-2012, 12:23 AM
ctrout - flip me an email. Need your mailing address.

fgw_in_fla
03-16-2012, 05:06 AM
Ctrout - Disregard on the bolt. I don't have enough parts to make one (mostly complete) bolt. I have a bolt body with face damage & a large diameter firing pin.

But you can still have the scope. In fact, it came off a pawn shop 30.06 "package" 110. It's a Simmons 3-9x by 40 and works fine. I took it off due to bad eyesight. I need to attach a telescope on top of my rifles :o :o :o.

I'll continue to look around my stash & parts area & see what else I can come up with.

Check your messages. PM coming your way.

Frank in Fla

Elkbane
03-16-2012, 10:54 AM
ctrout,
PM mw with your contact info (if you can) - I remember you from when you were a paid member. I have some items you may be interested in (not an action) for a worthy project such as this.

Best if we talk via phone or be in contact via e-mail. If you can update me on what you have and what you need, maybe I cna help....
Elkbane

handirifle
03-16-2012, 06:59 PM
To the OP, rmember the action is the firearm as far as the BATF is concerned, if your state/local laws require the action to go through an FFL you will need to do that. Also, not sure if it is legal to ship a firearm directly to an individual. Double check your laws to make sure. Wouldn't want something bad to happen from good intentions.

ctrout
03-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Good lookin' out. I do have a dealer on hot standby to receive the action and do the transfer for me at no cost.

ctrout
03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
So here's the plan. I went ahead and paid my dues so I could start browsing the classifieds. Actions have gone up in price a bit since I let my membership run out 2 years ago. I will be waiting until Monday to see if an action becomes available. If not, I will place an ad asking for a long action, 473 bolt face, staggered feed, flat back receiver. I will be providing my stock and the cheap Savage factory rings and bases unless one of you that has offered really wants to offer up a nicer set. I'm going this route because my stock is for a long action staggered feed action and my bases are for the flat back receiver. If I get a smoking deal on a different action, I may have to go with different bases or stock so I'll let you all know. In the mean time, I'll contact those folks who have the other donations I will be using and arrange to have them sent out. Thanks to the generosity of all of you, it looks like this project will definitely be moving forward. I will also be making a certificate stating something to the effect of "This rifle was assembled from parts donated by the members of Savageshooters.com in recognition of the achievement of the rank of Eagle Scout by Jefferey Checketts of Troop 57. Congratulations on this significant accomplishment!" or something like that. Oh and another plus is that our machine shop at work has a laser etcher that will actually etch into the receiver so I can get the BSA emblem along with his name, rank, and troop number engraved into the receiver. I could do the stock too but the more I envision it, the tackier I think it might look but I think that the subtlety of engraving on the receiver would look rather nice.

fgw_in_fla
03-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Sounds like you got yo' sef a bona fide plan there Ctrout. Bang me off a PM with your mailing address so I can send that scope when you want it. It's actually a pretty good scope & very clean. Also, I'd like to send a check for a few bucks so you can present the rifle with a box or two of ammunition. I trust you DO have a WallyMart nearby where you can get a box or two of ammo? ???

I kinda wish I could be there when you make the presentation. Of course, you do know that YOU WILL be held liable for some photos, don't you??? :o

Stay in touch...

Frank in Fla