PDA

View Full Version : Help with project

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

ctrout
03-26-2012, 06:50 PM
By the way Frank, I do need more help... I need help figuring out how to do as much shooting as you do. One of these days when I retire maybe I'll have enough time but then I probably won't have enough money.

roootie3
03-27-2012, 06:11 PM
hey, chris.... i'm a newby here but i can see that this site is plumb full of passionate, caring, giving people!!! warms the heart, doesn't it?

ctrout
03-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Yes. It's a great place. It's coming together. Still waiting on the reloading dies, rings and mounts, trigger guard, barrel, and the action which arrived today but I won't be able to pick up until on my way home from work tomorrow. Drum roll please...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/ctrout/Gun%20stuff/IMG_7372.jpg

fgw_in_fla
03-27-2012, 08:11 PM
All righty Chris... Looks like you have most everything you need to build a rifle a present it as a nice gift. Now get to work!!! :o :o :o

I think I'll go shooting tomorrow after I visit the office & check on a few things. When I come back I hope to see a completely assembled rifle, with a few boxes of ammo, all wrapped up in a nice sturdy case. ;)

I thought most everyone here would know about double OCD. Savage rifles & reloading. Double OCD. My particular case may be a little more extreme than others. I actually go into withdrawl symtoms if I don't make some ammo or shoot it ;D

Good luck & do well fittin' her together ;)

Frank OCD in Fla

JW
03-27-2012, 08:54 PM
that picture is the makings of a soon to be very happy young man!
Thanks Chris
I hope everything goes together well (I know it will)

Jack

ctrout
03-27-2012, 09:57 PM
So I just went digging around in my reloading supplies and found an "extra" pound of H4895, some speer 230gr .308 cal hollow points, and a couple hundred CCI 200s for him. I didn't have any brass that hadn't already been sized to 338 so he'll just have to shoot up the 2 boxes of factory ammo that I just sent my wife to Walmart for if he wants brass to reload. I'm going to help him get his bench set up but he will have to accumulate the tools that I didn't have extras of like, pretty much everything but the press and dies. I'll give his father a list. Brass trimmer, powder scale, caliper, etc.

dmpowder
03-28-2012, 12:31 AM
I have some 30-06 brass I can send your way. I don't shoot or reload for the 06 just brass I got at the range. Let me know and I will get it in the mail to you.

ellobo
03-28-2012, 01:37 AM
Dont forget a topnotch relaoding manual. I have brass if needed. Sounds like he may have enough but if not let me know. I have a lot of LC stuff from when I was young and shot M1 in matches.

El Lobo

ctrout
03-28-2012, 10:06 AM
I've got a Lyman 47th that I've had since I started reloading. It's pretty beat up but I may give it to him because it's been my favorite reference over the past 18 years. I've also got the Speer manual I could give him. On a side note,[b]The action has been delivered to me by my FFL!!! Just waiting on the barrel and trigger guard now and I was told the trigger guard should be here today. Now all I have to do is get the action engraved. My guys that know how to run the engraver will be in to work tonight by around 1530 so I may have this done before I get home tonight.

stangfish
03-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the pictures Ctrout!

fgw_in_fla
03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
All Right Chris!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Nothing like running down to the last minute. I'm starting to believe you must do your best work under pressure.

Were'nt you trying to get this together by the 31st?

You want I should jump in the truck & come by to give you a hand? I can be there by the 1st ::)

Go get 'em.

I can't wait to see the pics of the recipient of this gift!

Make sure you get a few close ups of his smile. You may have to pan back to get the whole thing.

JW
03-28-2012, 06:57 PM
The fun begins :)

ctrout
03-28-2012, 08:42 PM
I will complete the assembly as soon as I get the barrel. What has not shown up yet is barrel, scope rings, and the trigger guard. Those small parts are easy for me to steal from myself and just replace them when they show up in the mail but I don't have a barrel to pull. Let me check on the barrel for you guys and see if there is a tracking number available. Also, the laser etching machine was not available where I was told it was so I have found another one but the office where it is located was closed when I went down there after work today so I will try again tomorrow during my lunch hour.

ctrout
03-28-2012, 09:02 PM
The tracking number is not available at the moment but it went UPS on Monday from Alabama to Idaho. Should be here by Friday. In the meanwhile, here is another bone for you guys to chew on while we await the final product.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/ctrout/Gun%20stuff/Savage/Jeff%20Checketts%20gun/IMG_7377.jpg

I am thinking now that I will put the engraving right on the side of the bolt so it stands out a bit. It should look pretty good when I get it done. This is a mockup using a trigger guard from my son's rifle and a spare set of scope rings I had laying around.

fgw_in_fla
03-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Loookin' good, Chris ;)

ctrout
03-29-2012, 01:42 PM
I got the bolt etched. Looks pretty good. I'll post pics when I get home from work.

ctrout
03-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Pics as promised.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/ctrout/Gun%20stuff/Savage/Jeff%20Checketts%20gun/IMG_7382.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/ctrout/Gun%20stuff/Savage/Jeff%20Checketts%20gun/IMG_7381.jpg

Oh yeah, the barrel and trigger guard both showed up today!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/ctrout/Gun%20stuff/Savage/Jeff%20Checketts%20gun/IMG_7383.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d161/ctrout/Gun%20stuff/Savage/Jeff%20Checketts%20gun/IMG_7384.jpg

ellobo
03-29-2012, 08:08 PM
OUTSTANDING. and it made the deadline. Now all we need is the pictures of the kid and his rifle. I am happy I was able to be a very small part of this. You guys are the greatest.

El Lobo

JW
03-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Great job Chris
The bolt is cool
as El Lobo already stated: thanks for allowing us to have a small part in this project
I can not wait to see the pictures from when you give it to him
Jack

ctrout
03-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I couldn't have done this without all of your help. Thank you to all of you again who helped as well as to everyone who really wanted to but weren't able to because the parts you had were already donated. I will be sure to have pictures up Saturday night. I'm going to try to do video as well.