PDA

View Full Version : Help with project

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

ctrout
03-16-2012, 11:38 PM
Absolutely. His family has invited me to a reception dinner at the Elks Lodge following the ceremony. I don't expect that the whole troop will attend so I plan to make the presentation at the dinner if I am able to finish it in time. I will certainly post photos of the occasion. I will also post photos of the completed rifle as well although it will most likely appear as a box stock Savage package rifle, I'm sure that it will be very special to Jeff.

Dennis
03-17-2012, 12:09 AM
I will go through my shop as well and see what I can donate for this project.

Dennis

JCalhoun
03-17-2012, 12:50 AM
ctrout;

You know this deserves a write up not just pictures. ;)

ctrout
03-17-2012, 01:09 AM
One thing that I almost forgot, I don't have any headspace gauges for 30-06. Does anybody have any they can let me borrow for a little while? I headspace my own rifles on a sized case but this one needs to be SAAMI spec for commercial ammo because the young man does not reload yet.

ctrout
03-17-2012, 01:22 AM
So this is what I have so far:

Factory birch stock provided by me

"package rifle" scope rings and bases provided by me with a possible upgrade from another member

Simmons "package rifle" scope provided by fgw_in_fla

30-06 blued sporter barrel provided by JCalhoun

as yet undisclosed amount of cash towards the purchase of an action provided by members who did no make themselves known publicly so I will not disclose without their permission

I will begin looking for an action to purchase beginning on Monday. If I am not able to find the right action in time to complete this by the 31st, I will be cannibalizing the action from my 14 year old son's deer rifle which I will replace eventually when I find one. I have a barrel nut but if the action I find does not come with the screws, trigger guard, recoil lug, or any other pieces, I'll let you all know.

If anybody else wants to throw in on the action, let me know how much you would like to kick in so I can keep the forum posted on the total pledged. I will post immediately when I have found an action with the price. I will not accept any donations beyond $200 or the cost of the action, whichever is less.

ellobo
03-17-2012, 01:26 AM
I have a headspace guage you can borrow. PM me with your address. Your local gunsmith should have one but if not let me know.

El Lobo

ctrout
03-17-2012, 01:28 AM
Cool. Thanks. PM inbound.

fgw_in_fla
03-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Ctrout - PM rec'd with your location address ;)

Package is ready to go, now that it has a destination.

Awaiting further orders.

Lemme have the green light when you want it to head your direction. I hope it functions properly up there is the frostbite section of the country. This package is in for a tough time. It's been in Florida all of its life. I think we had a 48 degree day this winter. It expects to be in an average temerature of 88 deg. You may have to install a battery operated heater on it :o

Frank in Fla

ctrout
03-17-2012, 02:04 AM
You can send it anytime. I will be collecting parts over the next week or so until everything comes in. Once I have it all, I will get the action etched and assemble everything and get it sighted in and ready to go.

Dennis
03-17-2012, 01:05 PM
If anybody else wants to throw in on the action, let me know how much you would like to kick in so I can keep the forum posted on the total pledged. I will post immediately when I have found an action with the price.

I have been surfing around for an action, I wish I had one for the project!

PM sent,

Dennis

ellobo
03-17-2012, 05:39 PM
Chris, PM sent

El Lobo

ctrout
03-18-2012, 03:45 PM
Latest update on the project:

Scope rings and bases provided by dcloco (not sure what height I will need for the Simmons scope. I'm guessing low or medium. Help with this?)

Simmons "package rifle" scope provided by fgw_in_fla

Cash total so far $30 from Dennis with two additional pledges on the way.

I have also just placed the WTB ad for the action on faith that there will be enough generosity here among the brotherhood of the barrel nut to make this happen. I will be willing of course to cover whatever shortfall there may be, I just couldn't afford to cover the whole cost on my own.

Finally, I would like to share one of the reasons why this family is such an important part of our small community and why they aren't able to afford something as simple as a cheap Savage hunting rifle (something that many of us have several of and take for granted) for their oldest son. In cases like these, the "other children" (Paul and Carren have 4 total) sometimes out of necessity end up taking a back seat on everything and Jeff has been the greatest son and brother throughout their struggle as a family. This is Jeff's sister Brittannie. The video speaks for itself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G910Qd15S1s

Dennis
03-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Sounds like the project is going great!

I don't know how many members are on this board, but if a few more of us could find just a little to donate, this project would be a quick success! It won't take many of us!

I personally donate to St Jude's Cancer research center as they have done wonders for children, and I donate to special projects like this one! At least I know where my donation is going and I feel good about it!

Give it some thought, everyone could spare just a few $$$ to help! It will add up quick! Personally, I wish I could do more!

Count your blessings . . . Dennis

bowhunter42
03-18-2012, 11:19 PM
tell me what action you get and I will send a set of talley one pc rings and bases, new in the box, wish there was more i could do, but just started up a new precision rifle business.

ellobo
03-19-2012, 01:54 AM
I have never heard of that disease but the pictures were heart wrenching. Bad things should not happen to kids. The chamber guage will be on its way priority mail Monday allong with whatever I can afford.

El Lobo

Dennis
03-19-2012, 03:12 AM
I have never heard of that disease but the pictures were heart wrenching. Bad things should not happen to kids

I totally agree. My wife and I have spent our lives helping children, won't go in detail, but we have taken many groups on vacations plus more. They would have never had a chance to go on vacations otherwise, mainly due to family finances!

Again, I wish I was in a position to help even more!

JW
03-19-2012, 06:30 AM
Ctrout
Sent you a pm and forgot to ask for the mailing address!
Thanks
Jack

ctrout
03-19-2012, 09:52 AM
I just wanted to give another update. I have been overwhelmed with the generosity of the people at this site. Thank you all again. I am even receiving duplicate offers of items now so if I am not able to accept an item because it has already been provided, please understand that I still really do appreciate the offer.

As of this moment I have in my posession or on the way:

Complete long action provided at a discounted cost of $250 by BrentWin

Nikon Buckmaster 4x14 scope with BDC reticle provided by Elkbane

Scope rings and bases provided by dcloco (not sure what height I will need for the Nikon scope. I'm guessing low or medium. Help with this?)

Rifle sling and cash donation provided by fgw_in_fla

Cash total so far $60 with one additional unknown amount also on the way. I am also going to chip in $30-50 for the action as necessary. Another member has also agreed to make up the difference of whatever I need for the action. I am hoping that it doesn't come to this but what a great gesture!

Elkbane
03-19-2012, 05:06 PM
ctrout,
low- medium rings will work with the Nikon. Last time I had it mounted, I used 2 piece Warne bases (which are pretty thin) and medium Sig Zee rings - still had plenty of clearance.
Elkbane

ctrout
03-19-2012, 10:51 PM
SUCCESS!!!
This has been an amazing experience for me! You all have been awesome! The parts and funding for the project are complete and now. No further donations are needed (unless someone would like to upgrade the factory birch stock to something a little nicer) and this should turn out to be a GREAT rifle for a GREAT young man! It is now just a matter of getting everything in one place to assemble it. The hard part is again going to be getting the action here in time to get the engraving done because of the formalities of the FFL transfer and time in the mail for payment to get to the seller and then the action to get to me. I'll be mailing the license and money order in the morning. I'll post up pictures as the assembly progresses.