|A||October 1968||February 1972|
|B||February 1972||September 1975|
|C||September 1975||February 1979|
|D||February 1979||July 1982|
|E||July 1982||May 1989|
|F||May 1989||November 2001|
|G||November 2001||December 2009|
|H||December 2009||May (?) 2013|
|J||May (?) 2013|
- Savage started using the serial number letter prefix to signify their compliance with the Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 and differentiate their firearms that were made before (no letter prefix) and after the GCA went into effect on October 22, 1968.
- The "F" prefix range is broken up into two groups:
- S/N F498821 or lower were made while the company was owned by an investment company while working to come out of bankruptcy protection.
- S/N F498821 and above were made after Ron Coburn and his investors purchased the company on November 1, 1995.
- The "G" prefix coincided with the change to the AccuTrigger and the round-back receiver.