Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
Jim, Excuse my ignorance but why does the recoil lug need to be changed. Will it not engage the provision of the GRS? ...or is it just shorter than what would come with a rifle in a GRS stock?
One may very well be able to, but I would be concerned about the significantly reduced amount of surface area for transferring that recoil energy to the stock with the shorter AccuStock lug. In the AccuStock you have the aluminum skeleton and the lug butts up to it effectively allowing the recoil energy to be dispersed throughout a large area of the stock since the skeleton runs from the safety tang to the front sling stud. When you use that small lug in a non-AccuStock the only surface area to transfer that energy will be where it's in direct contact with the stock - a very small area of wood, plastic or composite.

I've seen enough bent standard factory recoil lugs that Fred's pulled off customers rifles in the last few years to know that even many non-magnum calibers would have issues with the reduced surface area to disperse that energy.

Also, the AccuStock lugs are much more prone to bending because of how they are shaped. Look at the photo below where the outside of the ring that goes around the barrel transitions into the lug area. Notice how instead of smoothly curving down into the lug it first curves inward just slightly creating a narrower area of the ring before curving back out slightly just before going down the side of the lug. That right there is the weak point and is where they always bend. I've seen some come off factory .308's that were bent from the recoil and that's not even a hard kicking cartridge by most peoples standards.