Thread: Stock Options

Stock Options

I'm a new owner of a 10 FCP-SR .308 with the accustock. I'm interested in upgrading the stock but can't seem to find anything that is a direct drop-in. I thought the stock for the GRS would be a direct fit, but that rifle is a non-accustock. What are my options for a heavier stock that has adjustable LOP and adjustable cheek?

Why do you think the GRS will not fit? What matters is the action screw spacing, top or bottom bolt release and magazine type. Trigger guards come into play also in some instances. Accu...... is not in there.

Your options are GRS, McMillan, Manners, Choate, Stockade and Boyd's with a few others here and there. Good luck Andy

I was thinking that I'd have to modify or remove the Accu rails to make it all fit in a non-accustock. I haven't removed the action from the stock yet to investigate. I've only had the rifle for a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Why do you think the GRS will not fit? What matters is the action screw spacing, top or bottom bolt release and magazine type. Trigger guards come into play also in some instances. Accu...... is not in there.

Your options are GRS, McMillan, Manners, Choate, Stockade and Boyd's with a few others here and there. Good luck Andy

Only issue you would run into with the GRS with your rifle is that it has the shorter AccuStock recoil lug that you would have to change out, which means pulling the barrel to replace and having to reset the headspace when reinstalling the barrel. The aluminum rails are molded into the AccuStock so they're not a factory.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Part of my issue. I don't want to go through all that. I'd just rather drop the action into a new stock. Guess I'll keep investigating.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Only issue you would run into with the GRS with your rifle is that it has the shorter AccuStock recoil lug that you would have to change out, which means pulling the barrel to replace and having to reset the headspace when reinstalling the barrel. The aluminum rails are molded into the AccuStock so they're not a factory.

Jim, Excuse my ignorance but why does the recoil lug need to be changed. Will it not engage the provision of the GRS? ...or is it just shorter than what would come with a rifle in a GRS stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Jim, Excuse my ignorance but why does the recoil lug need to be changed. Will it not engage the provision of the GRS? ...or is it just shorter than what would come with a rifle in a GRS stock?
    One may very well be able to, but I would be concerned about the significantly reduced amount of surface area for transferring that recoil energy to the stock with the shorter AccuStock lug. In the AccuStock you have the aluminum skeleton and the lug butts up to it effectively allowing the recoil energy to be dispersed throughout a large area of the stock since the skeleton runs from the safety tang to the front sling stud. When you use that small lug in a non-AccuStock the only surface area to transfer that energy will be where it's in direct contact with the stock - a very small area of wood, plastic or composite.

I've seen enough bent standard factory recoil lugs that Fred's pulled off customers rifles in the last few years to know that even many non-magnum calibers would have issues with the reduced surface area to disperse that energy.

Also, the AccuStock lugs are much more prone to bending because of how they are shaped. Look at the photo below where the outside of the ring that goes around the barrel transitions into the lug area. Notice how instead of smoothly curving down into the lug it first curves inward just slightly creating a narrower area of the ring before curving back out slightly just before going down the side of the lug. That right there is the weak point and is where they always bend. I've seen some come off factory .308's that were bent from the recoil and that's not even a hard kicking cartridge by most peoples standards.

urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.Riehle View Post
    Part of my issue. I don't want to go all that. I'd just rather drop the action into a new stock. Guess I'll keep investigating.
    I'm missing why you would think anything "drop in" would be an improvement over the stock originally designed for the action.

I suppose it could happen in a perfect world. But in this one . . .

Ohhhh. Got it. Marketing hype. Copper arthritis bracelets, long range treasure locators and bolt on accuracy enhancements.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I'm missing why you would think anything "drop in" would be an improvement over the stock originally designed for the action.

Ohhhh. Got it. Marketing hype. Copper arthritis bracelets, long range treasure locators and bolt on accuracy enhancements.
    Or he simply just wants a stock with better ergonomics for the type of shooting he does. Maybe he prefers a vertical pistol grip over a more laid back open sporter-style grip. Maybe he wants a wider forearm that will be more stable shooting off front bag/rest combo. Maybe he needs something with a higher comb? Possible reasons for wanting to change out a stock are endless and purely a personal preference thing.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    One may very well be able to, but I would be concerned about the significantly reduced amount of surface area for transferring that recoil energy to the stock with the shorter AccuStock lug. In the AccuStock you have the aluminum skeleton and the lug butts up to it effectively allowing the recoil energy to be dispersed throughout a large area of the stock since the skeleton runs from the safety tang to the front sling stud. When you use that small lug in a non-AccuStock the only surface area to transfer that energy will be where it's in direct contact with the stock - a very small area of wood, plastic or composite.

I've seen enough bent standard factory recoil lugs that Fred's pulled off customers rifles in the last few years to know that even many non-magnum calibers would have issues with the reduced surface area to disperse that energy.

Also, the AccuStock lugs are much more prone to bending because of how they are shaped. Look at the photo below where the outside of the ring that goes around the barrel transitions into the lug area. Notice how instead of smoothly curving down into the lug it first curves inward just slightly creating a narrower area of the ring before curving back out slightly just before going down the side of the lug. That right there is the weak point and is where they always bend. I've seen some come off factory .308's that were bent from the recoil and that's not even a hard kicking cartridge by most peoples standards.

That's what I thought you were expressing. I had always thought the bent recoil lugs were from the action screws not being tight. I did see a stagger fed WSM factory (thinner than normal) recoil lug bent once.

So rather than search for a complete new stock, I decided i'll get some accessories to fix the comb height and LOP. I am basically happy with the factory stock, the Accustock is a nice feature, so I see no need in replacing it. That being said... what experience does anyone have with Bradley Cheek Rests? They seems to have good reviews and wouldn't permanently alter the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post

I would put our (McMillan) drop in ready stocks toe to toe with any factory stock. No hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.Riehle View Post
    So rather than search for a complete new stock, I decided i'll get some accessories to fix the comb height and LOP. I am basically happy with the factory stock, the Accustock is a nice feature, so I see no need in replacing it. That being said... what experience does anyone have with Bradley Cheek Rests? They seems to have good reviews and wouldn't permanently alter the stock.
    It's flat out the best option for not permanently altering your stock. Rock Solid.

Basic Member
    Especially since Savage thinks enough of mcmillan that they offer it on a model 10

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

So I have to say that I posted this thread before I knew all the info. I separated the stock and action because I have decided that I want to make some DIY changes to the stock and it's easier to do it without the action attached. I now see what some of you that posted early on are talking about. For some reason I believed that the aluminum rails were attached to the action and laid in the stock. Now I see that this is the complete opposite. I now understand that as long as the action screw hole match up, I can drop the action in different stocks. Sorry for that ignorance. I agree that the recoil lug could be a point of failure in non-Accustocks. I'm still going forward with some DIY changes that don't involve permanently altering the factory stock. I'll post p some pictures of what i did when complete. Thanks for all the advice.