Thread: Guidance and Suggestions Requested...PLEASE

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Guidance and Suggestions Requested...PLEASE

I'm having a heck of a time with my .308 Win. loads. Same gun, same bullets, same brass, same powder (different lot number), same primers- same shooter / reloader.

I was drilling single holes using 44.0 Gn. of Varget behind a Hornady 155 Grain Amax. I have a large amount (to me; 11 pounds) of Varget separated into lots except for 3 "odd" pounds.

That load doesn't seem to work well. It's even the same temperature (+/- a little) as when I developed the load 2.5 years ago.

Changes I noticed that I may not have noticed before; the primers, even at 43.4 grains of Varget, are flat. Not severely, but flat. I probably did not notice this as when I first started reloading, I admittedly did not pay much attention to things like that.

Using Lapua cases, on their 5th reloading. I am needing to trim every re-sizing (I full length resize each time). Not much, but right around a thousandth.

I note there is what Ill call a witness line, or shiny spot where the case head and body join. Does not look like an incipient separation and I noted it after the first resizing.

I am playing around with C.O.A.L right now in an effort to tweak a load that seems OK (just OK) @ 43.6 grains.

I mention all this in order to diagnose- or to allow you experienced guys to please help. My best groups now are now around .49xx / .51xx" @ 100 yards. Not bad- but I used to get significantly better.

I'm a little afraid to do it, but I'd like to go back to 44 Grains and maybe up to 44.4 or 44.5 of Varget. I'm probably worried over nothing- but I worry about pressure and I believe that I'm looking too closely / seeing things that aren't there when examining fired cases.

I did check the cases with the bent paper clip method. I don't feel a ridge but do feel the area where the head "rounds" into the case wall / body.

I've actually got myself paranoid about this stuff.

So any suggestions are appreciated! I really want to carefully go higher, but would like to be reassured that it's safe to do so. Does anything I've mentioned raise a flag to anyone? Other than the flat primers-and the fact that I have some slight "trim-to" trimming for each reloading, I'm not seeing anything jump out at me. Oh yeah- the primers are CCI 200 and also Winchester large rifle magnum. The magnum primers are not as flat as the CCI- neither primers are cratered.

Thanks all for your patience and guidance! I'm learning more but as I do, there are even more questions!

I should add- I did initial load development with this gun, (Hog Hunter, 20" medium Bbl) when I fist got it. Put 380 rounds through it and then concentrated on my .223. I was ill for almost a year and started reloading / shooting again about 6 months ago. So I've just recently began shooting / reloading for it again. I kept VERY careful notes so I'm sure of load weights, etc.)

Sorry so long!

Brian
    Last edited by Silvercrow1; 04-06-2016 at 02:18 PM.
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!