I've always been a semi-auto AR guy--but recently decided to give bolt action a try--and I've always heard good things about Savage.

So I figured an Axis 270 might be good and gave it go.

Problems started immediately. I couldn't get a sub-MOA which i heard is fairly routine with the gun, and figured sticking a lighter pull trigger in might help and so I stuck a timney adjustable at around 3 lbs in. Still mediocre groupings. Today I shot maybe 60 rounds of all kinds of ammo and still couldn't prevent pulling to the left or right. Eventually I figured out that the stock flexes so easily that it's impossible to get a steady shot and touch the gun at the same time!

Worse yet, after all the firing the hex head screw that holds the action to the stock has become locked and my attempts to loosen it have started stripping the soft steel. I know that I did not torque it down all that tightly when I put it back together--I'm guessing that movement in the stock and/or expansion/contraction of the plasti-glass somehow locked it off.

Called Savage--basically told in so many words tough tomatoes to you.

All I can say is RUN--do not walk, away from this rifle if you are ever considering buying a rifle!