PDA

View Full Version : What press do you use?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

NF1E
06-18-2021, 03:40 PM
Who worries about R.O.

:behindsofa:

Or Neck Tension
or Accurate Powder Charge Weight
or Case Weight

Now, that sure caught my attention. Only folks that expect a bullet to go where they desire to put it. Excellent questions though and I bet you will get some interesting answers and some that have no idea what you are asking in the first place.

Robinhood
06-18-2021, 04:35 PM
Who worries about R.O.

Or Neck Tension
or Case Weight

I do.

Orezona
06-18-2021, 04:37 PM
I forgot to add that I've wanted a 550 for a while now.

7kings
06-18-2021, 05:09 PM
I forgot to add that I've wanted a 550 for a while now.

It's a great press for bulk reloading. Don't let the manual indexing fool you - you can crank out plenty of ammo once you get going. I don't think I'll ever be without one on my bench.

Orezona
06-18-2021, 05:49 PM
It's a great press for bulk reloading. Don't let the manual indexing fool you - you can crank out plenty of ammo once you get going. I don't think I'll ever be without one on my bench.

I know a few people that have cranked out ammo for years on a 550. Which is why I have wanted one.

Dave Hoback
06-18-2021, 05:51 PM
Dillon 550. Best press money can buy imho. Love it! I also still use my original Lee Challenger. First press I purchased many years ago. I’ve beefed it up for more strength & use it mostly for primer swaging. Used a Rockchucker for years as well, and liked it very much. I’ll probably pick another one up at some point.

Orezona
06-18-2021, 05:57 PM
When I say "know", I mean, know in person. Not, "internet forum know."

99 K 30-30
06-18-2021, 06:00 PM
3 Redding 7 stations with 5 extra turrets, a Lee turret for handguns and RCBS Grand for 12 bore.

charlie b
06-18-2021, 08:08 PM
I haven't owned Hornady, Lyman, or RCBS presses so can't vouch for their customer service.

I do know that Lee replaces any part that goes bad in any of my presses without charge.

Danatkins8605
06-18-2021, 08:36 PM
My dad taught me on his 550 and now it's pretty much became mine since his health will no longer allow him to reload or shoot. Once you a rhythm down you can crank on that thing pretty good. I had a lock n load ap for a bit but went back to the dillon. Never timed myself on the lnl but on the 550 I can clear a tube of 9mm primers in 14 minutes

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Orezona
06-18-2021, 08:57 PM
I have an early 80's Rock Chucker that I purchased from a friend's dad a few years ago. I called RCBS about a primer tray and they sent me one for free. I told them the truth about the purchase.

Stumpkiller
06-18-2021, 09:53 PM
... but I'm thinking of getting a single stage for precision reloading for rifle.

I have been using an RCBS Jr. since the late 1970's. Really don't need more for the shooting I do. No case forming and seldom full-length resize. And I used to go through 180 .38 Special wadcutter rounds in a weekend shooting PPC.

I seat primers in a bench-mounted Lee Auto.

yobuck
06-19-2021, 09:32 AM
Who worries about R.O.

Or Neck Tension
or Case Weight
So what press do you recommend for eliminating all that? lol

PhilC
06-19-2021, 10:14 AM
I haven't owned Hornady, Lyman, or RCBS presses so can't vouch for their customer service.

I do know that Lee replaces any part that goes bad in any of my presses without charge.
RCBS is known for their excellent customer service and will replace any broken part free of charge, whether or not you are original owner. I've used their service and speak with first hand experience.

charlie b
06-19-2021, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I suspect that all of the mfgs stand behind their reloading presses.

Orezona
06-19-2021, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I suspect that all of the mfgs stand behind their reloading presses.

And free shipping is also a plus if the mfgs throw it in.

dangerranger
06-22-2021, 01:16 AM
I don't use LnL bushings today - I was thinking that when I set up a single stage press, it would be nice to use the LnL bushings so I didn't need to set up the dies every time I switched stages. I don't anticipate sharing dies between presses - I'm going to keep the 550 for handgun and the single stage for rifle.

I just use a good lock ring and my dies drop right back in the same press they were set in. Some of them have not been reset in decades! I have some Lee dies that came with that O ring for a lock ring. I tossed those for a real lock ring.
I have not used the LNL bushings but in anything mechanical the more joints you put together, the more places you have a possibility of play. You end up with tolorance stacking. I have not tried them to know how solid they are, but with every threaded bushing , die and press threads each has a little clearance, and less is better! Good Luck! DR

charlie b
06-22-2021, 08:34 AM
Yep, the original Lee oring dies were useful only on the removable head type presses where you could torque them down and leave them. I got rid of those years ago. They now have better ones that lock onto the die with a screw, like RCBS rings. They also come with a little 'wrench' so they can be tightened down to the press itself. I do like them a bit more than the RCBS type.

GrenGuy
06-22-2021, 08:01 PM
I replace all of My Die rings with the Hornady’s. I don’t care for a screw going into My Die threads, they are steel, and set very firmly.

7kings
06-22-2021, 08:21 PM
So I ended up ordering a MEC Marksman to serve my single stage needs. I listened to what everyone here had to say, watched a few youtube videos, and then rolled up my sleeves.

After spending many hours doing my normal OCD-level research and comparisons on all the main single stage press offerings, which invariably incurs "that" smirk and headshake from my wife, I felt the M2 most closely met my needs for what I'm looking to do.

Of course, it doesn't hurt that I really haven't found anyone dissatisfied with it, and the price point was surprisingly agreeable. :tea: