PDA

View Full Version : What press do you use?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

charlie b
06-22-2021, 08:49 PM
I replace all of My Die rings with the Hornady’s. I don’t care for a screw going into My Die threads, they are steel, and set very firmly.Which die rings still have 'setscrew' type retainers? The RCBS and Lee both are the 'split ring' type with a screw that tightens the split. Screw does not touch the threads.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

dangerranger
06-23-2021, 12:10 AM
Which die rings still have 'setscrew' type retainers? The RCBS and Lee both are the 'split ring' type with a screw that tightens the split. Screw does not touch the threads.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk
Over the years I have found some that have a set screw that presses a plastic or lead BB into the dies threads. I don't use them. they came with some used dies. I use either the split ring type or the two nuts that lock together . Both have stayed solid for years. DR

Orezona
06-24-2021, 08:29 PM
So I ended up ordering a MEC Marksman to serve my single stage needs. I listened to what everyone here had to say, watched a few youtube videos, and then rolled up my sleeves.

After spending many hours doing my normal OCD-level research and comparisons on all the main single stage press offerings, which invariably incurs "that" smirk and headshake from my wife, I felt the M2 most closely met my needs for what I'm looking to do. Of course, it doesn't hurt that I really haven't found anyone dissatisfied with it, and the price point was surprisingly agreeable. :tea:

A very solid press. My dad has one and likes it a bunch. Check out Vaughn Precision on YouTube. He did a video or two when he switched to it.

7kings
06-25-2021, 10:02 AM
A very solid press. My dad has one and likes it a bunch. Check out Vaughn Precision on YouTube. He did a video or two when he switched to it.

I watched a couple of his videos on it (among many others...). He seems like he really likes it.

PhilC
06-25-2021, 10:42 AM
The RCBS and Lee both are the 'split ring' type with a screw that tightens the split. Screw does not touch the threads.
Interesting. I bought 4 brand new RCBS die sets and 2 decap dies last year, all current gray box sets, and none of them have split rings, they are all solid lock rings with a jam screw.

yobuck
06-25-2021, 02:27 PM
Makes no difference which ones dont or which ones do, good after market replacements are easily available.

charlie b
06-25-2021, 03:34 PM
Agree. I wonder why RCBS puts the set screw type on their dies? The split ones I have I bought individually at Sportsmans. Little green plastic baggies :)

yobuck
06-26-2021, 07:53 AM
Agree. I wonder why RCBS puts the set screw type on their dies? The split ones I have I bought individually at Sportsmans. Little green plastic baggies :)
Id say because they are cheaper to produce.
All the RCBS dies i own are the older ones with the split ring.
I also have a couple of sets of Lee dies and even before i used them i replaced the ring.
Otherwise they work as good as the RCBS.
I also pull the decaping pin out of the Lee dies and remove it from all the others also.
There are 4 presses on my bench, one is a small Lyman Sparten model which just serves as a decaping press for all the cartridges i load for but one.
That one i have to knock them out with a punch.
The others are 2 Reddings one being a turret model, and the 4th is the very large RCBS ammo master for the larger diameter dies.
If i had to just have one press for everything, id keep the Redding turret.

SharpShooter82
07-11-2021, 09:54 AM
I use my Lee Loadmaster for high volume .45acp and .223, Rockchucker 4 for .308 and .30-06, Lyman All American turret for small runs of pistol and the small Lee single stage for de-capping and various other small jobs.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b
07-11-2021, 10:05 AM
One of the reasons I bought the Loadmaster vs a couple of others was the ability to load full length rifle stuff. I load all of my ammo on it, including the .30-06 and .308. I also decap and prime on it. I usually prime in a separate step just cause I like to check the feel of it. The progressive function just makes that a bit faster than using a hand or bench prime setup. Typically I decap, clean (tumbler or ultrasonic), and prime. The primed cases go in boxes until ready to load.

want2ride
07-11-2021, 10:29 AM
I have a Rock chucker that i converted to Lock and load and upgraded to a MEC and converted it to Lock & Load. I make very consistent ammo with both, but like the MEC a little more... other than depriming. It really sucks for depriming, because the old primers get stuck in the press. I now use one of the little aluminum RCBS presses for a dedicated depriming station.

7kings
07-13-2021, 07:26 PM
I have a Rock chucker that i converted to Lock and load and upgraded to a MEC and converted it to Lock & Load. I make very consistent ammo with both, but like the MEC a little more... other than depriming. It really sucks for depriming, because the old primers get stuck in the press. I now use one of the little aluminum RCBS presses for a dedicated depriming station.

I'm really liking my MEC. I am using a Lee universal depriming die (I prefer to decap before I clean the cases and don't want to run dirty cases up into the sizing die to decap). It's working really well for me so far and the primers don't seem to be having the same difficulties you are, but I've heard some other folks express similar experiences (or that the primers tend to miss the catch-tray).

How do you like the Lock and Load conversion? I've been looking at it, but everyone seems to be out of stock at the moment.

PhilC
07-14-2021, 11:33 AM
Picked up a very nice set of vintage RCBS dies for my 7.65 Argentine Masuer. When I went to disassemble to clean (already very clean) I could not get the die lock ring off even after completely removing the set screw. Two applications of Kroil in the setscrew hole and on the die threads finally released the soft lead "binder" from the die and I was able to remove the ring.

Cleaned the set up (they look as new inside and out) and promptly spun on a pair of Hornday split rings - problem permanently solved. :thumb:

want2ride
07-14-2021, 11:34 AM
I love it, they work wonderful and my concentricity is .002 to .005 on almost everything i make. I do have one die set that does make .007-9, but since it is a hunting rifle it isn't as big of deal. If my brother hadn't given me enough to convert 8 of my die sets (about half), i wouldn't have bothered. But i do like them a lot, and they do make switching dies faster and the end product is just as consistent.

7kings
07-14-2021, 05:30 PM
I love it, they work wonderful and my concentricity is .002 to .005 on almost everything i make. I do have one die set that does make .007-9, but since it is a hunting rifle it isn't as big of deal. If my brother hadn't given me enough to convert 8 of my die sets (about half), i wouldn't have bothered. But i do like them a lot, and they do make switching dies faster and the end product is just as consistent.

Good. That means as soon as anyone has the conversion kit available again I'll pick it up. You can get the individual bushings just fine, but the female portion that permanently screws into the press is what's hard to get right now.

Orezona
07-14-2021, 05:36 PM
I'm really liking my MEC. I am using a Lee universal depriming die (I prefer to decap before I clean the cases and don't want to run dirty cases up into the sizing die to decap). It's working really well for me so far and the primers don't seem to be having the same difficulties you are, but I've heard some other folks express similar experiences (or that the primers tend to miss the catch-tray).

How do you like the Lock and Load conversion? I've been looking at it, but everyone seems to be out of stock at the moment.

IMO, you will be happy for a very long time with your MEC. I also use the LEE universal depriving die. I use it on my Co-Ax. Easy as pie...

7kings
07-14-2021, 05:53 PM
The MEC is so smooth, it's crazy. Real quality machining, and you can tell. Solid as a rock. I'm really happy with it so far (although I haven't had it very long).

Nimrod71
07-25-2021, 03:39 PM
I have been reloading since 1970 and I can tell you the RCBS Rock Chucker is Great. There are plenty of other makes and models on the market and they are all good, some are less expensive, others are more expensive, but I can tell you I don't know of any that will beat the Rock for making ammo. I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds on single stage loaders from Lyman, C.H., RCBS and Redding and they all worked.

7kings
07-25-2021, 09:55 PM
One thing about the MEC - I'm thinking about ordering the short handle for it. The long handle has great leverage, but that throw is LONG... :)

charlie b
07-26-2021, 06:37 PM
One thing about the MEC - I'm thinking about ordering the short handle for it. The long handle has great leverage, but that throw is LONG... :)

Yep, for most reloading a short handle is fine. But, if you ever try to size some hard lead bullets you will want that long handle :)