PDA

View Full Version : What press do you use?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

7kings
07-26-2021, 08:44 PM
Yep, for most reloading a short handle is fine. But, if you ever try to size some hard lead bullets you will want that long handle :)

It's pretty good for FL sizing brass, but for everything else it's too much (I end up grabbing it about halfway down the handle most of the time). Loving the press though.

rerun5
07-29-2021, 12:03 AM
I started out with my Lee 50th anniversary breechlock single stage, later I bought the classic cast single stage for heavy lifting. Last year I bought the classic cast turret press and it became my first line, 50th anniversary is back up. I've had no problems and I like working with all of them. I did buy a Lee hand press a couple years ago and I love it. I can literally reload at the range now, it's great for tweaking my loads on the fly.

redleg1013
09-28-2021, 03:43 PM
Dillon for my pistol, Forster for my rifles

Appleseed
10-19-2021, 11:16 AM
Like the Redding 7 and am going to use my old RCBS for primer extraction and seating. The Redding indexes well and is more "solid" on my bench than the older RCBS. And if I ever start to reload some of this pistol brass, it has room for the three die sets. It may be worth adding a second head and keep several different caliber dies in place and adjusted.

Savage 94C
11-03-2021, 07:39 PM
Same RCBS RockChucker I bought back in Feb of 1976. Same RCBS scale and powder measure also. Use for varied handgun and rifle calibers.

rerun5
11-18-2021, 12:24 AM
Lee Classic Cast turret now, started out with the Lee Breech Lock single stage. Many folks don't like the Lee equipment but I've had no problems with it. I get very good groups with all the calibers I load for. I also have a Lee Classic Cast single stage for heavy lifting. I use the Lee die bushings for the breech lock.

RCE1
11-18-2021, 03:44 PM
I have a lot of presses. PW Metallic2, RCBS Rock Chucker and Junior, Redding Ultra Mag, Lee Cast Single stage, Lee Cast Turret, several portable benchrest single stage from Harrell etc., Dillon XL750. The ones on my bench right now are the Dillon XL750 and a Lee Cast Turret. I tend to use the Lee when loading rifle cartridges for accuracy with weighed charges and the Dillon for .223 and a bunch of different pistol chamberings.

I'd love to try the Forster CoAx but they are only marginally available and for a premium price. If anyone is interested in trading for one, please let me know via PM.

Highbrass
02-06-2022, 08:59 PM
I have and use several different brands of presses... RCBS, Lyman, Lee each get used for different jobs and types of ammunition.
That said the press I use the most is my Lee Classic cast 4 hole turret. I load almost all my rifle ammo on it. Many folks look down on Lee and I understand it. They usually cut a bunch of corners to keep their prices down.
I do not think I would have gotten into reloading were it not for Lee's affordability.
My Classic cast has made ammo that is some of the most accurate I have ever used. I had a range day last year where I had made ammo in 224 Valkyrie and 300WM . At 100 yards I shot 3 rounds into the same hole with the Val. turned around it did the same with the 300. I figured I could not top that performance and felt so good about I wanted to leave on a high so I packed it in with a total of 6 shots ...ALL made on my Classic Cast Turret.

charlie b
02-06-2022, 09:53 PM
LOL

I did the same kind of thing one day. .308, 155gn ELDM, 1000yd. Took 4 rds to adjust (first time firing that load at that range). Next three went into a milk jug (ended up being about 8" apart). I stopped shooting after that :)

And, loaded on a Lee Loadmaster :) (with Redding Competition seating die :) ).

I almost bought a Dillon this Christmas. I decided to pass and keep using the Loadmaster. A tune up with some new parts (which ended up being free from Lee) and it is running like new.

Robinhood
02-07-2022, 12:33 AM
I almost bought a Dillon this Christmas. I decided to pass and keep using the Loadmaster. A tune up with some new parts (which ended up being free from Lee) and it is running like new.

The do have good CS at times.

Balvar24
02-07-2022, 06:08 PM
Lyman T-Mag (the orange one). Seems to work.

Blue Avenger
02-08-2022, 08:49 AM
one dillon 650, two loadmasters, one rockchucker, old herters, rcbs pardner, rcbs piggyback, and a lee "C" frame single i can clamp anywhere to seat a bullet if needed and a lee "O" frame. they all work fine. only press i discarded was a lymon turret kit. everything was sloppy and very inconsistent.

Blue Avenger
02-08-2022, 08:55 AM
Lyman T-Mag (the orange one). Seems to work.

tried orange one about the time the silver one was coming out. all three tops I had wobbled as they were turned. gap on back post was always different. the new one with the solid back was worse. They should be able to make them run truer then they do.

Balvar24
02-08-2022, 07:35 PM
Mine seems pretty tight. Then again, I just may not know any better.

charlie b
02-08-2022, 09:37 PM
LOL, happens to the best of us. If it works for you doesn't matter what others think.

FWIW, the press isn't nearly as important as the person using it. Unless you go down the rabbit hole any of the reloading dies will do just fine as well.

Balvar24
02-12-2022, 11:48 AM
LOL, happens to the best of us. If it works for you doesn't matter what others think.

FWIW, the press isn't nearly as important as the person using it. Unless you go down the rabbit hole any of the reloading dies will do just fine as well.

I've managed to assemble every color of the rainbow. Orange press, pale green scale, red powder measure.

Jester560
02-12-2022, 06:49 PM
I use an All American 8 Lyman turret for Precision work and a Lee Loadmaster for mass production.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

ragsflh
02-13-2022, 09:44 AM
dillion 550 and rcbs rock chucker

Festor77
02-24-2022, 06:00 PM
I've only used a rockchucker since 1979

lonestardiver
02-24-2022, 08:19 PM
I have 2 Dillion 650’s, 2 rockchuckers, Redding T-7 turret, some old Hornady single stage, and an old Lee pro 2000. The Lee needs a major over haul but has loaded up thousands of pistol rounds. It was my first progressive before I bought a Dillon. Most of my rifle rounds are done on a rockchucker or the T-7.