PDA

View Full Version : 6" groups?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

*tim*
10-09-2013, 12:53 AM
I have the savage 111 trophy hunter. I had problems with groups last year but figured it was the scope it came with or me flenching so didn't think much of it. However I pulled it out this year to get ready for hunting season. Bought me a new Nikon prostaff and a led sled to help sight it in and now that I have removed what variables I can think of I still have 6" groups. I'm shooting 150gr hornady ammo and plan on trying some different ammo this weekend but not sure how the ammo could be that inconsistent.

bootsmcguire
10-09-2013, 01:01 AM
What caliber is it?
About how many rounds fired?
What kind of cleaning intervals?
Is the barrel free floating?
Are your scope bases and rings properly tightened? The base screws often bottom out and don't properly hold the bases to the actions.
Are your action screws properly snugged down?

Just some thoughts for you and perhaps some info to make it easier for us to help with your troubles.

*tim*
10-09-2013, 01:05 AM
It is chambered in 300 win mag and yes all screws are installed with locktite and tight

bootsmcguire
10-09-2013, 01:20 AM
Ok that's a good start, what about these thoughts below:

About how many rounds fired?
What kind of cleaning intervals?
Is the barrel free floating?

Also another thought, how does your crown look? any burrs or anything look out of place?

You may try a heavier bullet. Some people report having better luck with heavier bullets, perhaps a 180 or 200 grain load may be a better choice.

*tim*
10-09-2013, 02:16 AM
It has 200-300 rounds through it and I followed the break in on Savage's website

*tim*
10-09-2013, 02:17 AM
Could a heavier bullet possibly shrink groups by inches?

stangfish
10-09-2013, 06:48 AM
You are flinching(have someone watch you or video tape yourself) and you replaced a cheap scope with a cheap scope(I know the Nikon prostaff name is indicative of the highest quality, here comes the controversy. This is a win mag). The nokon Monarch is goo stuff thopugh.

Check the barrel and tang for free float. Loosen the action screws then retighten the screws starting with the forward action screw being snug then tightening the rear and then the front in that sequence. If the screws go from easy to hard in less than a turn you are good but if there is any "spring" then you have issues with the action bed.

GaCop
10-09-2013, 06:52 AM
It may be as simple as trying different brands of ammunition to see what your rifle likes the best.

*tim*
10-09-2013, 06:53 AM
I'm shooting from a led sled so don't think I could be flenching that bad. I will recheck the action screw

*tim*
10-09-2013, 06:54 AM
It may be as simple as trying different brands of ammunition to see what your rifle likes the best.

I'm going to try some different ammo this weekend but Can different ammo really vary that much

RP12
10-09-2013, 07:10 AM
I'm going to try some different ammo this weekend but Can different ammo really vary that muchIn a word, Yes. I once had a gun like that. I thought all was lost. Tried totally different bullet weight and bullet type, and it cleaned right up. It may be your situation, maybe not, but it's possible.

keeki
10-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Hmmm. Different ammo may help, but 6"? I doubt it. If your doing everything right and shooting groups that bad consistently, we have a problem. Follow Stangs advise on the bases and rings.

earl39
10-09-2013, 08:53 AM
What stock is on it? If one of the cheap stocks it could be flexing against the barrel hence you lose your free floated barrel when you go to shoot it. Try it from a sandbag placed back under the lug area instead of the forearm.
As for different ammo helping the answer is absolutely. I bought my Nephew a little single shot 308 years ago and almost didn't give it to him until i tried 180gr bullets in it. It went from shotgun pattern to MOA with nothing but bullet weight change. That was with factory ammo.

*tim*
10-09-2013, 09:24 AM
It has the original stock and its not the accu stock

Apache
10-09-2013, 12:08 PM
You may try another scope.....one that is known to be good. It is possible that the scope, even though it's brand new......and a Nikon to boot.....is bad.

It happened to me one time and drove me absolutely nuts! My situation was a little different in that my groups tightened up slightly after the new "bad" scope was put on.........it is also the reason I no longer buy the cheaper scopes anymore.

The only way I found it was bad was I put that rifle aside and moved that scope to another rifle that I KNEW shot well.....and it started shooting bad. Put the old scope back on it and it shot it old reliable self again......no more cheap scopes for me.

BTW.......For me Nikon does not fall into the cheap category for what it's worth. But they can have problems just like anybody else.

davemuzz
10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
6" groups now....different ammo could get you 2" groups. Yes...it is possible. However....for sure clean your barrel before you try any new ammo. Don't switch back 'n fourth with ammo without first cleaning the barrel. As a hand loader it's a proven fact that when you shoot the same bullet with different powders, you MUST clean the barrel before switching to the new powder or the group will not be a "true group.

Also, and I'm sure you have done this, but do a copper cleaning as well. It won't take much to copper up the 300 WSM at the speeds those bullets are being pushed at.

FWIW

Dave

keeki
10-09-2013, 01:08 PM
I understand that all guns have their favorite ammo, but 6"? If a 300wm of mine shot 6" groups with 150gr bullets, I would be looking for a problem and not waste my money on ammo. 3" groups maybe, but I've never even shot a savage that shot that bad.lol

bootsmcguire
10-09-2013, 11:06 PM
With factory ammo I have seen a night and day difference. My father has a 110LA 223 and it hated several name brands of factory ammo. Finally found it liked the 55gr Soft point Winchester white box stuff. None of the others would do better than 4" and 2 brands even had issues keeping inside of 12". Found the Win load and the groups went down to 3/4".

wrench man
10-10-2013, 12:18 AM
I'd try the heavier ammo as suggested, my 110 270Winchester won't shoot ANY!!! (factory, hand load, ANY!) 130grn ammo worth beans, it shot 6" groups, a recrown, Timney trigger, three scopes and a glass bed job brought it down to 3"?, but it put's 150's sub MOA!??

sortafast
10-10-2013, 01:22 AM
you sure you weren't shooting a mini-14 instead?