keeki
10-10-2013, 06:04 AM
I stand corrected. Guess that's one of the reasons I never shoot factory fodder

*tim*
10-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Could my two piece bases be part of the problem

RP12
10-10-2013, 07:33 AM
Could my two piece bases be part of the problem If they are tight, probably not.

twarren
10-10-2013, 08:20 AM
All good advice but only change one thing at a time.

sortafast
10-10-2013, 10:50 AM
Things I would check: Is the barrel free floated (can you slip a dollar bill between the barrel and stock all the way to the chamber)? Is the receiver tight in the stock? Is the scope mounts and or rings loose? Is the tang of the receiver free floated (some strange internet voodoo happens when the tang isn't free floated. Don't know why but thats just the case. Is the crown of the muzzle in good shape? Have you tried a nicer scope on it? Check out what the twist rate of the barrel is and what the weight of the bullet is. Some weight/twist combos can do weird things. I see it was 150gr, that seems really light for a 300WM to me. Maybe bump it up closer to 200gr or so. But that will also make it a bit more painful to shoot, maybe.

All of these things are pretty easily correctable. I would try different ammo and a different scope/rings first. Do a little research and I am sure you can find a good ammo that would work with your barrel. I have had really good luck with fed fusion ammo. That stuff shot sub 1" groups for me in an old 30-06 that I wasn't expecting 2" out of.

Speedrat1
10-10-2013, 02:48 PM
I've had some of the Hornady "superformance" or however they spell it make the worst patterns I've ever shot though more like 4" out of a rifle that will ragged hole other loads. Try others, even white box if you can find it will almost always give 1-2" groups depending. And..... a biggie, if you're not aware - with most of the magnums you can get away with shooting the first two shots fairly quickly, after that you better be waiting for the barrel to cool back down. If you're not you're just wasting ammunition.

MrMajestic
10-10-2013, 08:09 PM
you sure you weren't shooting a mini-14 instead?

Hey now! FYI-My Accuracy Systems Inc. reworked Mini shoots sub MOA all day! Pick on another model! LOL

sortafast
10-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Hey now! FYI-My Accuracy Systems Inc. reworked Mini shoots sub MOA all day! Pick on another model! LOL

I had a mini that I threw a bunch of $$ at. Never got better than a couple inches at 100yds. I really want to buy one again soon. I plan on rebarreling it with a more better, heavier barrel and make my own side folded an such. Basically turn it into the rifle it should have been not the turd oil bill river made it into.

tammons
10-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Mini 14s are a totally different animal. We have one in 6.8 that shot about 7" low and left, then trailed up to the right for 4-5 shots, then it would group a about 1.5". If the barrel was hot it would shoot okay. Cool down and low and left 5-7". I finally gave up and sent it to Ruger and they replaced the barrel, bolt and a few other odds and ends and that fixed it.

As far as the Savage, 6" groups if your sure you are not flinching, IE like let someone else shoot it, then I would suspect the scope first.
I have had 2 bad ones in a row. Next make sure the recoil lug is making contact and the action and tang are free floated.
If still open try some accuracy hand loads. If still open send it to savage.

GaCop
10-11-2013, 09:33 AM
I had a Vortex Viper go bad on me, just about drove me nuts trying to find the problem and initially believing it couldn't be the Viper!

*tim*
10-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Finally got a chance to go shoot. Shot some Winchester 150's and it was the same results as the hornady 150's. But had some 180gr superformance and hit 6 rounds within 3" but the last 2 or three were all pretty close. After letting the barrel cool of I shot a couple more and the first 2 were a little wide but as the barrel got hot the groups got smaller and the last three bullets were all touching prolly less then 3/4"

thermaler
10-13-2013, 04:34 PM
I have the same rifle but without the accutrigger and accustock. It definitely likes 165 to 180 pills. Definitely replace the factory two piece scope rails with something like the warne single tactical--300 win mag is a walloping round which is gonna shake those babies loose. When I took mine off I found gun oil from the factory actually "creeps" into the scope mount screw holes creating lubrication between the receiver and rails. If I even think flinch--the shot is going to be off. : ) If I really do my part right with the trigger pull I can put bullets through the same hole--but the slightest screw-up on my part and it's gonna fly wide.

I love the 300 win mag--quickly becoming my favorite rifle.

*tim*
10-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Is it normal for the gun to shoot better with the barrel hot? I thought it was the other way around

thermaler
10-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Is it normal for the gun to shoot better with the barrel hot? I thought it was the other way aroundMy ARs always seem to do better when they warm up--but my bolt rifles generally wander unpredictably when I fire frequently enough that the muzzle end is hot enough that I cannot grasp it comfortably. YRMV--just my experiences.

jhelmuth
10-14-2013, 05:51 PM
I'm shooting from a led sled so don't think I could be flenching that bad. I will recheck the action screw

It has the original stock and its not the accu stock

There lies your "biggest" fault - the stock along with the recoil factor compounded with a trigger that is factory.

The flex in the stock alone opens up your goups as much as 3" all by itself, but when you add a factory trigger witha heavy recoil rifle you almost can't help the additional 2" from just plain ole buttstock whompin recoil to cuse the shot to pull (or push as the case might be with anticipation).

Get yourself a decent stock. Bets value out there are the Boyds stocks (something in a laminate and ideally with pillars and bedding would be a real bonus with the heavy hitters). Now that you've tamed the Savage beast (yup... pun fully intended), you should be able to better manage your trigger pull and since she won't be hittin you so hard hopefully the anticipation of that will subside to the extent that only the trigger will be to blame. Obviously if you can put in a trigger job things shoul also improve.

You rifle IS a sub MOA beast - but only if you can tame her!

Oh yeah... and find the right load too while you're fixin it.

*tim*
01-04-2014, 06:19 PM
This is an old thread but I'm still having problems. I started reloading my own ammo and shooting 180 accubonds with hornady brass with 75gr of rl22. I have discovered that the first couple shots are inches apart but after the barrel gets warmed up it will drive tacks. I always thought it should be the other way around. I attached a pic of my shooting today. The holes that are touching are five different shots in the same hole after the barrel was warmed up but the others were with the barrel cold.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/05/a7a8ezep.jpg

limige
01-04-2014, 06:36 PM
No tim barrels generally shoot better warm but not hot.

If the barrel or nut are close to the stock they will cause pressure as the metal expands against your stock and change POI thats why its important to check clearance with a dollar bill and sand if not cleared.

You've got a big gun.There. I agree with what was mentioned. Buy a good stock, boyds has many that are about $130 TYD bed it will help more. A decent trigger and a quality scope go a long way.

Those are hard guns to load test since they heat up so fast. Winter is the best time for quick cool down. I wouod highly suggest running a ladder test at 500 yrds to start.

*tim*
01-04-2014, 06:40 PM
If that's the case how do I sight it in for the first shot. I only use the gun for hunting so I can't shoot it a couple times to warm it up the take a shot at the animal

CharlieNC
01-04-2014, 06:42 PM
Are you cleaning between sessions? If so it needs fouling vs heating up. Residual oil is a problem for first few shots. I don't clean often!

*tim*
01-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Yeah I clean it pretty often