PDA

View Full Version : What would you ask Savage to improve?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Westfield1
02-18-2012, 01:43 AM
A question for all of the Savage rifle lovers out there (myself included) - What would be the one or two things about or on a Savage rifle would you like to see improved? Think about the things that, if done, would make you say, "This is a great rifle, but now it is all that much better."

82boy
02-18-2012, 02:04 AM
The toerances in the bolt heads, to cure ejection problems, and re-due the geometry of the action placing it in time, with a light bolt lift.

psharon97
02-18-2012, 02:09 AM
I'd pretty much go along with 82boy: fix the ejection issues that plague savage rifles.

hotbrass
02-18-2012, 02:13 AM
I'm not new, but what ejection issue seems to be common? I dont have any ejection problems but enquireing minds want to know. Thanks!

ellobo
02-18-2012, 02:17 AM
ditto on 82 boys suggestions. They should adopt better geometry as done By Fred Moreo when he offered it to them.

El Lobo

Joe O
02-18-2012, 06:57 AM
Besides the ejection problem (droping cases),and timeing,Many have poor fireing pin fit,causing primer cratering,to the extent,that the should have never left the factory.Also too many issues with misaligned action to barrel,causing POI to be
excessive,even at close range.Hear this is attributed to one particular assembler at the factory (via barrel stamp).

efm77
02-18-2012, 09:06 AM
I haven't had any problems with mine ejecting although the ejection is a little weak so it could use a stronger spring. I hate my stagger feed magazine but they've switched to the centerfeed to try to get better reliability. My old staggerfeed chews up brass bad because it's so hard to get a round into it. I need to play with the feed lips. It started life as a 7mm rem mag but sometimes I think they put a 30-06 magazine in it because the rounds go in so tight. My center feed works better but is still a pita to load because after there's a round in it then the next one wants to roll to one side or the other when trying to push it down into the mag. I'd like to see all magnum calibers changed to the large barrel shank and switch to 24" barrels for standard calibers and 26" barrels for magnum calibers and that would make me happy. Sorry to be long winded.

Blue Avenger
02-18-2012, 10:06 AM
Besides the ejection problem (droping cases),and timeing,Many have poor fireing pin fit,causing primer cratering,to the extent,that the should have never left the factory.Also too many issues with misaligned action to barrel,causing POI to be
excessive,even at close range.Hear this is attributed to one particular assembler at the factory (via barrel stamp).

Besides the ejection problem ( dropping cases ) and timing? Many have poor firing pin fit, Causing primer cratering to the extent that they should have never left the factory. Also too many issues with misaligned action to barrel. Causing POI to be excessive, Even at close range. I hear this is attributed to one particular assembler at the factory (via barrel stamp).

There, Now I can read it. ;) Bit of a run on sentence.

thirty06
02-18-2012, 11:44 AM
I'd like to see them tighten up the tolerences on the boltheads. I think that would fix most of the ejection problems and firing pin
cratering. Timing for bolt lift would be nice, but I can live with that.

PBinWA
02-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Get rid of all bottom bolt release models. Standardize on a stock layout and stick with it so the aftermarket guys will support the platform.

fivesomewhere
02-18-2012, 01:36 PM
Speaking of stocks.........

BoilerUP
02-18-2012, 01:46 PM
#1: stop changing configurations
#2: make the bolt lift easier
#3: offer Model 11 package guns in 260 & 6.5 Creedmoor

scratcherky
02-18-2012, 03:48 PM
Get rid of the smooth barrel nut and incorporate Fred Moreo's true and time on the actions.

jonbearman
02-18-2012, 05:37 PM
What about the trigger and seer,this is one of the weakest links there are.

jglover_81
02-18-2012, 08:04 PM
+1 on the bolt head tolerances and quit changing good things!!

geargrinder
02-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Ditch the Axis and make a LH Stevens 200

efm77
02-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Amen on the bottom bolt release! I don't own one of those models but it almost takes 3 hands to remove the bolt with the side release. It just looks like the bottom release would be that much harder. What trigger and sear issues? I think the trigger, sear, and lock time work great. Oh and another amen on the smooth barrel nut!

82boy
02-19-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm not new, but what ejection issue seems to be common? I dont have any ejection problems but enquireing minds want to know. Thanks!

If you spend any time reading on this site you usualy see about once a week someone buys a new savage and it will not eject the spent cartridges. It is usualy with 22/250 and 6BRs. There is a few fixes (That are listed in the FAQs section) and most times they work. The root of the problem is the oversized bolt head. The round extracts out of the chamber and the case falls out in the action.

82boy
02-19-2012, 12:35 AM
I would also ask Savage to incorperate a AR15 type of feed cone on the back of there barrels so that hollow pointed bullets will feed from a mag. Case in point most 223, will not feed 52 gr SMKs, they just get wedged between the magazine and the barrel. A fed cone cut on a the back oof the chamber quickly fixes the problem.

mutwagn
02-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Ditch the Axis and make a LH Stevens 200

Amen to this one!