PDA

View Full Version : What would you ask Savage to improve?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

possume22
02-19-2012, 01:44 AM
i guess the only thing i would want changed is a the trigger i hate the accutrigger i cant stand the blade thing on the trigger i just need a nice crisp light trigger for hunting i own a 270 30/06 7mm rem mag all older flat reciever styles with woodstocks and a 10ml ll i love the safteys and have never had a issue with any of my guns loading or ejecting and i couldnt ask for better shooting guns

stangfish
02-19-2012, 02:45 AM
Bolt fit. Recoil lug quality. Minor improvements in cocking geometry.

Nix the AXIS/Edge and return to the Stevens. You could make them the same action for both long and short cartridges but utilize the new recoil lug design while keeping the 110 or accutrigger trigger, and interchangable bolt parts like the old 110.

hotbrass
02-19-2012, 02:55 AM
I agree with everyone! Savage sucks, their guns suck, they are all a piece of shit! :o

Now grow a pair and go tell your wife how you would improve her. ;D

rusty815
02-19-2012, 03:15 AM
Ditch the Axis and make a LH Stevens 200

This. If they released a left handed stevens I would buy it in an instant. I would also change the bolt lift, it's hard to be delicate when it requires 40lbs to lift the damn bolt.

ba_50
02-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Real match barrels.
Improve and sell actions minus triggers separately, including LH.

jonbearman
02-20-2012, 10:01 AM
How about better quality control and customer after care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jo191145
02-20-2012, 08:35 PM
Get rid of the half pillar in the rear. Thats Savages weak point.

Or did they do that already? I think the BR action eliminated it.
All my actions are old half pillars ;)

MaDa
02-20-2012, 11:24 PM
How about better quality control and customer after care!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never heard of this being a problem. I've heard of them sending people parts without proof of the problems, them shipping rifles to and from the owners with problems fixed. Now if the QC issue was fixed they wouldn't need the extremely satisfactory customer service side nearly as much. They have offered to send me magazines (for a poor fitment issue) and stock/action screws for me loosing them!!! I took neither of them up on the offer.

That being said, I haven't shot my 30-06 yet to know if it has any problems. It does load and extract/eject fine.

nsaqam
02-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Someone should teach Savage how to lap a barrel.

Ditch the nut too, I hate those things.

I'd like a typical bolt sleeve/cocking piece rather than the Savage BAS on the end of the bolt.

While they're changing the bolt they may as well add a side bolt release like on a Kimber.

Ditch the stupid blade in the AT. Just design a great trigger and skip the gimmicks/band-aids.

24" barrels in standard LA cartridges.

Savage needs to buy a Kimber to see what an ergonomically well designed stock is like.

Savage needs to make a lightweight rifle which uses it's design, rather than gimmicks to achieve lightness.
The present Savage LWH is a perfect example of how not to do it.
Give me a SS 22"-24" #1 contour barrel set into a 24 oz fiberglass stock (not LAMINATE for gosh sake) with a blind magazine.

Heck, Savage should just blatantly copy the Kimber 84. Pushfeed is fine with me.

I like Savages but they do have plenty of room for improvement.

nsaqam
02-21-2012, 04:39 AM
One more thing.

Make the mag boxes for the SA 3.00" long.

This would give greater latitude for bullet seating and would allow for the chambering of some classic cartridges like the .275 Rigby, and the .257 Roberts.

nsaqam
02-21-2012, 10:08 AM
Basically what I want is a modernized Savage 1920.

In LH of course.

A lively little rifle in the mold of the Kimber 84.

C'mon Savage make this rifle, I'm tired of waiting for Kimber to make a lefty.

rjtfroggy
02-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Just to reintroduce the Striker. You would think with all the people wanting one they would have figured this out for themselves.

BoilerUP
02-21-2012, 10:53 AM
One more thing.

This would give greater latitude for bullet seating and would allow for the chambering of some classic cartridges like the .275 Rigby, and the .257 Roberts.

My centerfeed 10FP blind mag box was over 3" long...I loaded rounds go 2.95" with room to spare and it fed fine.

mnhunter
02-21-2012, 01:54 PM
Wish they would make a model with a nicer factory walnut stock. Something that i could pass to my kids and become a family heirloom.

nsaqam
02-21-2012, 02:12 PM
One more thing.

My centerfeed 10FP blind mag box was over 3" long...I loaded rounds go 2.95" with room to spare and it fed fine.

Great news, that's one thing off my list. You got any pull with Mr. Coburn to get a modern 1920 made? In LH!

efm77
02-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Getting rid of the barrel nut and the modular bolt kinda defeats the purpose of a Savage in a lot of ways nsaqam. If you don't like those things sounds like you should just get a different brand of rifle all together. There are plenty of others that are made with shouldered barrels and traditional style bolts. I can go along with you on the barrel length, and I'd like to see the bolt release simplified too.

ellobo
02-21-2012, 04:40 PM
There are many things called out in this post that will never be done for one reason. Economics. Savage is making long runs of products they know will sell. Short runs of some changes asked for wont sell enough rifles to make it economical to do so it wont get done. Yes, Savage has problems that could be fixed like better bolt heads that could be done with minor changes in tooling or vendor control. Quality control seems to be going downhill lately and attention to that could alleviate many of the things wished for in this post. Making short runs of specialty rifles will not occur no matter what. That is why they have the custom shop available that will build what you want. With the new digital machinery they have instaled a keystroke on a computer could take care of a lot of those problems listed in this post. Supposedly Savage monitors this forum. Lets hope they will take this post to heart.

El Lobo

nsaqam
02-21-2012, 04:41 PM
I'm ready for Savage to step up it's game and to start competing with the best rather than pummelling the lesser brands as they do now.

I'm ready for a Savage one piece bolt.
I'm ready for a shouldered barrel chambered and fitted by a skilled technician.
I'm ready for Savage to make a stock rivalling that of the best production stockmakers in the business, both walnut and synthetic.
I'm ready for Savage to design a trigger which is great by design without added gimmicks, the old M70 trigger is pretty close to perfect.
I'm ready for the time when a Savage rifle can be pulled from the case and folks want to see it and hold it and admire it and a Savage which would compare favorably with the finest production rifles in America in all aspects rather than merely on accuracy.

Savage can do it. They've done it before with the 99 and the 1920.
I think they should do it again.

BTW, I do have other rifles than Savages and I like several of them better than I do my Savages for certain things and my Savage wears a shouldered barrel, and a McMillan stock. Nothing Savage makes can easily compete with my old 700 KS or my Kimber of O 84.

I'd like to see Savage enter the region occupied by the Kimber 84, M70 FWs, and SAKO and give these guys a run for their money.

BoilerUP
02-21-2012, 05:16 PM
Savage can't remotely do all those things and make rifles at a price point that people will buy en masse.

If you want a Sako or Kimber, buy a Sako or Kimber.

Its kinda like asking Chevrolet to build BMWs...

nsaqam
02-21-2012, 05:44 PM
I apparently have more confidence in Savages capabilities than you.

Savage should keep their present extensive lineup while adding a new line above the Savage line. Kinda like adding Stevens below Savage.

I know there is a market for high quality, well designed rifles that sell in the $1000-$1400 range. Kimber can't keep up and Winchester is selling every M70 they make. MRC recently added a whole production rifle series to it's lineup selling at the $1000 price point.

Kimber's success is all the more striking because Kimber had to buck two bankruptcies, and a reputation for spotty QC to achieve it.

Savage has had the bankruptcies too but at least Savage has a reputation for accuracy.

I'd like to see Savage aspire to be the top gunmaker in America rather than just the best of the "economical" rifles.

If Savage could spin off a top tier gunmaker, produce a high quality rifle, still maintain their present lineup, would you folks welcome that?

I know I would.