Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
The action screw spacing is the same on all Savage long action receivers - 110/111/112/114/or 116 Staggered feed or Center feed actions.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Action-Lengths

Even if you can't get a heavy barreled inlet from Boyds, it only takes a short amount of time to open the barrel channel up with a piece of pipe and sandpaper. I've done it with a Boyds stock on my LH 12 FLVSS and also a factory stock when I installed a heavy barrel on my 93 GL 22 Magnum. There's plenty of wood left in the stocks.
Good info the spacing. I've always been told they were different. That helps, and I'm showing the extent of my ignorance.

There IS plenty of wood, BUT when I sand a sporter Boyd's stock down to fit a Criterion heavy sporter that's only .685" at the muzzle, I'm about 20 thousands or so above the nut holding the sling swivel stud on. There's no way that could be sanded down to fit a varmint contour barrel to where it would free float without either sanding through half the sling stud nut or removing the sling stud altogether. I suppose it would be possible to remove it and replace it with a wood screw type stud if I cut it off some with a Dremel or small chop saw. Either way, not ideal. Boyd's glues the pads on, too, which I dislike, because I can't take the pad off to drill the stock out without tearing it up. If you guys know of a way to manage that, please let me in on it. I could remove a lot of weight if I could just unscrew the pad and access the wood at the end.

Obviously I don't know close to much, but I do know where I've made mistakes, and I don't want to spend more money to repeat the same failures if I can avoid it.