Thread: Build and the small 6's w/ a DBM ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    After following this thread it has raised thoughts. Question is why the difficulty with the 6BR when Savage has now been offering a 6ARC loading in both a 110 Model and the Axis, both with DBM setups. The 6 ARC is even shorter than the 6BR! With the little I know about Savage I could not possibly believe they would institute a whole separate bolt or extractor for these 2 rifles just for the 6ARC.

I bring this up because I am to the point that before winter I hope to convert a Model 11 from 223 to 6ARC.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by KMW1954 View Post
    After following this thread it has raised thoughts. Question is why the difficulty with the 6BR when Savage has now been offering a 6ARC loading in both a 110 Model and the Axis, both with DBM setups. The 6 ARC is even shorter than the 6BR! With the little I know about Savage I could not possibly believe they would institute a whole separate bolt or extractor for these 2 rifles just for the 6ARC.

I bring this up because I am to the point that before winter I hope to convert a Model 11 from 223 to 6ARC.
    Savage has the same problem with 6mmARC. Thing is, not every rifle suffers the problem. Some work just fine. Some people likely don’t speak about of it. And regardless of it all; “frankly my dear, Savage doesn’t give a darn!” Remember, owners have been complaining for decades about the heavy bolt lift. And yet, Savage has never addressed the issue. So, should give insight on that.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Savage has the same problem with 6mmARC. Thing is, not every rifle suffers the problem. Some work just fine. .
    Thanks for this info, now I have to start a new research before I go forward.

Basic Member
    Can't help on reliable magazines, but I have a 6BR on a 110 long action I use for benchrest. It is single shot no mag with a sled / ramp glued in. I can tell you to get the Improved extractor kit from Fred at sharp shooter's supply. Mine drove me nuts dropping cases.

I tried changing the ball modifying extractor and ejector even springs. I asked Fred and he told me about the kit. Ordered installed and haven't had a issue since. Built on a long action for 2 reasons I had one that had been timed and tried with a nice trigger and a Shehane tracker stock. Barrel is by Hart, real nice consistent shooter.

I use it short range bench rest score shooting. This was my starter rifle however my new .30 BR is almost finished. It will be back to 600 yard for the 6 br soon.
    savge 10 fp shooter

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pdm25150 View Post
    Can't help on reliable magazines, but I have a 6BR on a 110 long action I use for benchrest. It is single shot no mag with a sled / ramp glued in. I can tell you to get the Improved extractor kit from Fred at sharp shooter's supply. Mine drove me nuts dropping cases.

I tried changing the ball modifying extractor and ejector even springs. I asked Fred and he told me about the kit. Ordered installed and haven't had a issue since. Built on a long action for 2 reasons I had one that had been timed and tried with a nice trigger and a Shehane tracker stock. Barrel is by Hart, real nice consistent shooter.

I use it short range bench rest score shooting. This was my starter rifle however my new .30 BR is almost finished. It will be back to 600 yard for the 6 br soon.
    Good post. I remembered one of your older posts that described what I was saying perfectly. Here: https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...946#post482946 You explained it as the Ejector “slamming” the case into the side of the Action, but actually it’s like I explained. Too short case….Too short Ejector travel. In your situation, the ejector/extractor kit was enough to mitigate the problem. (At least to a large degree.) However, as was mentioned in that thread & here, not all Ejectors, Extractors, Actions are created equal. I had forgotten the one other trick specified in that thread as well. The Extractor Ball divot can be moved just a few thous. This gives the Extractor a different fulcrum & can by way give different leverage. However, these modifications should not be attempted without a 100% understanding of the mechanics of the problem.

Basic Member
    Well, just for grins I tried out the mag with 6BR this morning. Model 12BVSS, originally .308Win. It has a blind mag. Popped the 6BR round in there, made sure it was all the way against the back of the magazine and pushed the bolt forward. Chambered very cleanly. The cartridges were loaded with 103gn VTac bullets that are a bit on the long side.

I did forget to try loading the mag with 4 rounds. If I remember next time I'll try it too.

As I stated above, I can't comment on ejection since I don't have an ejector on my rifles. The cases are extracted easily and they are held onto the face of the bolt until I pluck them out. FWIW, this rifle did not eject .308 brass reliably so I doubt that it would work very well with the shorter 6BR. I never bothered trying any of the fixes since I am a single shot type person.

Banned
    Hehe.. “Single Shot kinda guy”? One Shot One Kill, eh Charlie?