Thread: Barrel Change for Model 16 Weather Warrior

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Dont forget the 6.5 Creedmoor.:)
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Dont forget the 6.5 Creedmoor.:)
    I was first thinking of the 308 based cartridges, but assuming the 6.5CM has the same bolt face then sure that would be a good candidate too. Kinda nice to have the 308 though; because I could work up a light recoil load when bigger bullet is not needed.

Banned
    I’m a 260Rem fan myself. Part of the reason was to have an endless supply of cheap brass. I did mine when 6.5cm was very new and still hadn’t become the fan-boy favorite. I’m still very glad I went 260 because I don’t use any factory ammo. Every round that goes through it is one of my reloads. I’m getting ready to re-barrel by summer and planning to stick with 260, but going to the 260 Ackley Improved. Wish I had done that from the start, but oh well.

Yes, 6.5cm is the same bolt head. It’s another good short action choice. BTW, what will be the primary use for this rifle? Oh, and before you start buying parts, check out our Barrel Nut article. https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Nut-Options But more important than which barrel nut is using a good quality Recoil Lug.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I’m a 260Rem fan myself. Part of the reason was to have an endless supply of cheap brass. I did mine when 6.5cm was very new and still hadn’t become the fan-boy favorite. I’m still very glad I went 260 because I don’t use any factory ammo. Every round that goes through it is one of my reloads. I’m getting ready to re-barrel by summer and planning to stick with 260, but going to the 260 Ackley Improved. Wish I had done that from the start, but oh well.

Yes, 6.5cm is the same bolt head. It’s another good short action choice. BTW, what will be the primary use for this rifle? Oh, and before you start buying parts, check out our Barrel Nut article. https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Nut-Options But more important than which barrel nut is using a good quality Recoil Lug.
    I just removed a 260 barrel that is surplus to me now.
    I had a 260 barrel...still do. The factory chamber was too short for seating them where they should be. I consistently was blowing out the primer pockets trying to get me to the speed that the 6.5 creedmoor achieves. This is also what the smith that chambered my barrel told me. I found that if you have a throated chamber then then the longer Savage SA magazine helps, and you can seat them longer. Generally if you look at what the majority of 6.5 shooters go with, it is rarely the 260. The 260 is a great round but why go with that when you can have the creedmoor without having to ream or turn the .016"neck wall thickness, or have a non SAAMI chamber. the 260 is a choice. It just hasn't proved itself to be the right choice in a new configuration.

Team Savage
    The recoil lug ("replacement of" and "use of one of good quality") has been mentioned twice in this thread. The OP states the Model 16 being discussed sits in an Accustock and doesn't mention he wants to replace it. If this is the case, to my knowledge and in my experience, there are no aftermarket recoil lugs for the Accustock. It does not have the same shape as the standard non-Accustock recoil lug. See the 2018 thread in the link below for pics and an explanation.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...l-lug-question

I bring this up not to throw cold water on your decision to rebarrel, but to hopefully save you the headache of purchasing a standard aftermarket recoil lug and then realizing it won't fit your Accustock without modifying either the recoil lug or the Accustock as Jim mentions in the thread above. The rebarreling part is straightforward and has been explained many times on this site and others across the web and in videos. You will just need to reuse the recoil lug you have or purchase a new Accustock recoil lug if you desire.

If I'm wrong, then I'm fairly confident someone with much more knowledge, wisdom, and experience than I will be along to correct the misinformation I have inadvertently and unintentionally provided in this post and hopefully we will all learn something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    The recoil lug ("replacement of" and "use of one of good quality") has been mentioned twice in this thread. The OP states the Model 16 being discussed sits in an Accustock and doesn't mention he wants to replace it. If this is the case, to my knowledge and in my experience, there are no aftermarket recoil lugs for the Accustock. It does not have the same shape as the standard non-Accustock recoil lug. See the 2018 thread in the link below for pics and an explanation.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...l-lug-question

I bring this up not to throw cold water on your decision to rebarrel, but to hopefully save you the headache of purchasing a standard aftermarket recoil lug and then realizing it won't fit your Accustock without modifying either the recoil lug or the Accustock as Jim mentions in the thread above. The rebarreling part is straightforward and has been explained many times on this site and others across the web and in videos. You will just need to reuse the recoil lug you have or purchase a new Accustock recoil lug if you desire.

If I'm wrong, then I'm fairly confident someone with much more knowledge, wisdom, and experience than I will be along to correct the misinformation I have inadvertently and unintentionally provided in this post and hopefully we will all learn something.
    Good head's up.. I would be fine reusing the existing recoil lug. I would even reuse the barrel nut if unmarred.

Quote Originally Posted by David_h View Post
    Good head's up.. I would be fine reusing the existing recoil lug. I would even reuse the barrel nut if unmarred.
    Once out of the stock, you should find a hole in the bottom of the nut to use for removal. odds are it will not line up with the hole in the same place again.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Banned
    The story of the 6.5cm now somehow being faster than the 260 is among the NEW fantasies told. First it was admitted that the 260 was faster, but only 50-100fps, and that wasn’t enough to matter. Then certain people started saying the two were exactly the same velocity. Now, as I indicated, they are stating the 6.5CM is FASTER! Seems 6.5CM is the first cartridge in history that has gained velocity through the years, yet the factory ammunition has remained the same. Look at factory ammunition using the same 140-143 pills. The 6.5CM is typically loaded to 2650-2700fps & the 260Rem is typically loaded
    to 2750. It’s quite easy to go verify this by manufacturers. When buying a new barrel, the throat can be whatever the buyer’s wish, so that point is moot. I don’t understand the argument “It was like this 20years ago for me, so that’s how it is for everyone else!” -LOL!

The people telling us they are loading 6.5CM to beyond 2800fps, & even 2900+ with the 143gr & 147gr pills are disingenuous..(to say the least) Now there are guys saying they are loading their 6.5’s to almost 3100fps!! The story just keeps getting bigger & bigger with 6.5CM. It’s sad really.

However, in the end.. do the research & draw your own conclusions.

However, in the end.. do the research & draw your own conclusions.
    Finaly.

Basic Member
    Don’t forget to check the classifieds on this forum. I noticed some 308’s and 6.5 CM’s listed.

You are only limited by your imagination

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdskip View Post
    I'll send you a pm.