Thread: 116 Weather Warrior 30-06 re-barrel to 280 AI

116 Weather Warrior 30-06 re-barrel to 280 AI

Is this a simple barrel swap? The '06 is slightly longer COAL, 3.340 vs 3.330, so DBM should be good.

Thank you in advance.

Basic Member
    That should be it! I think it is always a good idea to get a better quality recoil lug when you have the barrel off, but it isn't required.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    That should be it! I think it is always a good idea to get a better quality recoil lug when you have the barrel off, but it isn't required.
    And as always dress the burrs of of the action face and barrel nut if you know how.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I will be getting a new barrel nut and recoil lug from NSS. Thank you for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    And as always dress the burrs of of the action face and barrel nut if you know how.
    I haven't heard this before. How do you dress the face of the action?

Bump to Robinhood. Please PM me if you prefer.

Thank you in advance.

I use the term "Proud Metal". Proud metal is what stands up above a surface, in this instance above the face of the action where the recoil lug mates up. If this surface has proud metal the recoil lug will not sit flat flat. When you tighten the nut the nut will seek square. In that scenario the barrel can and will be pushed out of the axis with the action. If the action and barrel are not in the same axis you have a less than desirable condition. You can still shoot small groups but you may loose the precision potential of the rifle.

Think of your scope lined up with the center of your action. Now point the barrel in the same general direction but not in line with the scope. As you extend your distance the misalignment will increase with distance. Unless you true the face and threads, and index the barrel, it wont be perfect but it is good to remove the simple things that can cause undesirable results.

I use a very fine DMT hone and very carefully work the high spots off the face concentrating the pressure on the middle of the action bore. I also have a very fine round Norton hone that I can polish the surface to a micro/Mirror finish but that is not needed. Idf you need to PM me you can.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

That's it....I actually did the same conversion 3 or 4yrs ago. Got the barrel, lug, and nut from NSS.
    I think you'll really like the round...it's a dandy. Mine shoots lights out too.
    Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by scooterf79 View Post
    That's it....I actually did the same conversion 3 or 4yrs ago. Got the barrel, lug, and nut from NSS.
    I think you'll really like the round...it's a dandy. Mine shoots lights out too.
    Scooter
    I'm pretty excited. The rifle was delivered to my FFL today. I chose the 116 WW versus the new 110 storm. I have two rifles with the same stock and shoot them well. I didn't see a need to pay the extra $80ish for the 110 Storm. I got the last 116 WW in stock. I've ordered a box of Nosler brass, Redding Body Die and Lee Collet Die for the 280 AI. I'm going to keep the -06 barrel just in case of who knows what.

Scooter, I tried to PM you but your inbox is full.

Sorry about that...I've cleared it out now...a PM should be good.
    Scooter

Im using Redding dies, Nosler brass and the Lee collet die as well. Should be a good combination!
    Scooter

I ordered a B&C Medalist in Dark Timber. The Accustock is a little "off". I messed with the action screws and it just wouldn't center up in the barrel channel. This is my third Accustock rifle and only one I've had an issue with.