Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor aftermarket barrel selection. Advice please

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Black Hole makes very accurate barrels, and at the moment the cool kids don't know them. This means you can actually get them, and they will fool around with requests without charging you up the kazoo.

Beyond that, honestly I think you are putting this deal on a pedestal it shouldn't be on. This isn't an all or nothing deal. There isn't perfect or horrible in here.

As for the accuracy goal, that isn't NEARLY as much about any piece of equipment as anyone wants you to believe; it's 90% Shooter.
    Perfect example:
    https://www.shootersforum.com/rifles...alley-sun.html
    Thanks for your reply. I actually have a 20" BHW on my 6.5 Grendel. That rifle is so far my accuracy benchmark as I can consistently shoot five shot groups between around 1/4 MOA, often putting the first three in the same hole before my nerves kick in. All with factory A-Max 123gr.

Granted I am much more familiar with the AR platform and have grown accustomed to my 2 stage Geissele triggers. The bolt gun and single stage AccuTrigger is still pretty new to me, had the rifle a few months, 140-160 rounds down the pipe. I guess I was expecting a Creedmoor bolt gun to shoot as well or better than my Grendel AR. Still a learning curve but am thinking a barrel upgrade could speed things along. Currently I am consistently getting 1 moa groups with some, what I consider to be lucky smaller groups. Best results with ELD-M and Winchester factory ammo.
    My PSA chrome lined .223 AR upper prints 1 moa groups with PMC Bronze. Thus I am having doubts about the stock barrel on my savage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I actually have a 20" BHW on my 6.5 Grendel. That rifle is so far my accuracy benchmark as I can consistently shoot five shot groups between around 1/4 MOA, often putting the first three in the same hole before my nerves kick in. All with factory A-Max 123gr.

Granted I am much more familiar with the AR platform and have grown accustomed to my 2 stage Geissele triggers. The bolt gun and single stage AccuTrigger is still pretty new to me, had the rifle a few months, 140-160 rounds down the pipe. I guess I was expecting a Creedmoor bolt gun to shoot as well or better than my Grendel AR. Still a learning curve but am thinking a barrel upgrade could speed things along. Currently I am consistently getting 1 moa groups with some, what I consider to be lucky smaller groups. Best results with ELD-M and Winchester factory ammo.
    My PSA chrome lined .223 AR upper prints 1 moa groups with PMC Bronze. Thus I am having doubts about the stock barrel on my savage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep

Honestly I would expect a mediocre bolt gun to outshoot all but the exceptional AR's. If you have.an AR that shoots consistent 1/4" groups that is exceptional. If you have a savage creedmoor that won't hold consistent 1/2" groups that is bad.

A barrel upgrade could help. Some stock savage barrels are exceptional and some are dogs. Luck of the draw. Any of the top of the.line match hand lapped barrels will shoot better than most of us can.

I know nothing about chassis but with a traditional stock I would be looking at the bedding and make.sure the barrel is free floated. Then you can play with the.torque on the action screws.

You will never find out what a barrel is capable of till you feed it what it wants. Bullet, powder charge and seating depth. That magic combination is out there. Just easier to find with some.barrels