Quote Originally Posted by Newtosavage View Post
Okay, thanks. I just realized yesterday the hangar is different from the pre-66's to the post-66's, so you are correct about that. I think a Timney or Rifle Basix would look appropriate in that old gun. I don't want to detract from the vintage appearance, but I also want to use it and I can't stand mushy, inconsistent triggers, not to mention unsafe ones. Right now it breaks at 2 lbs. 12-14 oz. pretty reliably, but it just feels "mushy" and a few times it wouldn't reset when I was chambering a round. That worries me, maybe more than it should. But the last thing I want to be worried about on a rifle is the trigger.
I have been lucky to successfully adjust these in the past. Not having one to explain how each screw works makes it difficult to describe. You can adjust the level of safety protection & "feel",, the overtravel and the spring return pressure. You must visually inspect the sear & and its mating surface for excessive wear and stone accordingly if you are comfortable with that.
There are several posts on here and other places that explain how & what they did, right or wrong.
Certainly worth your while to investigate. The ones i worked on were approx 3# and broke clean not mushy/creepy.