Chet: Sorry to hear about the unsatisfactory results your having with your new rifle. Using Mr. Baker's analogy I think I got lucky with my Savage Mark II BV. It's not a unicorn or the equivalent of some of the rifles I shoot against in the prone matches. Financially I can't afford those expensive rifles so I have to make do with what I have. I don't have any of the Prone targets I've shot to get a measurement but the majority of my shots at both 50 & 100 yards are in the 10 & X ring with a few flyers, which I try to avoid. I'm using standard velocity -- high velocity didn't work so well for me.

Out of curiosity, I looked at some of the reviews for your rifle. Many showed the results for 25 yards, which was of no interest to me - I was interested in the results at 50 & 100 yards but didn't find any. The reviewers like the rifle. Contacting Savage customer service is probably your only option. I don't understand the changes you made to the rifle but they probably won't be happy to hear about them.

I have a S&W M&P 15/22 that I bought based on reviews. Like you I wanted a accurate rifle under $400 - as Mr Baker indicated that was wishful thinking. It was poor at 50 yards and worse at 100 yards. I gave it to my wife as a bribe to buy the Savage Mark II!! I do use the S&W for rimfire challange matches up to 35 yards and it works pretty well at that distance.

Don't know what to tell you brother other than I hope you solve the accuracy problem.