Quote Originally Posted by CaptnC View Post
I pulled the barrel tonight and the barrel nut was never touching the Axis recoil lug. So I don't I'm guessing the actions screws are all that was holding it in place.

I know a guy who is going to show me how to true an action. He is going to set it up to cut the it to use the original style lug. I just received the lug over the weekend. He is also going show me how to cut a barrel for a muzzle brake...sold be fun!

I will say I have no clue as to the round count on the rifle so maybe that's why there has not been any contact there...
That seems really unusual and slightly scary! How did you determine there was no contact between the lug and the barrel nut? One of the first things I do when reassembling any bolt gun is to set the receiver back as far as it will go, which usually means the recoil lug bears directly on its mating surface in the stock. I assumed the recoil lug was bearing on the barrel nut when I do that to my Axises. If there's a possibility that it's not, then that could be problematic.

That said, I've had .300 Win Mag Axises in unbedded factory plastic and Boyds laminate stocks with no signs of recoil beating up the stocks. I also have an even bigger kicker in a Boyds stock, and there's no sign of failure around the lug or action screws.