What Mozella is getting at is there are a lot of manufacturers who don't have that info on their sites (even EGW doesn't list the height or thickness of their bases, though it is listed in their FAQ's). I get that argument, but it's easy to invalidate that argument (and his others) by doing one simple thing: Don't buy products from manufactures who don't make that info readily available. Easy-Peasy! Not only does it eliminate the frustration of having to try and get that info, but it also greatly narrows down your list of potential options.

Here's my other free nugget of wisdom for those perplexed up by this conundrum:

BUY YOUR SCOPE BASE AND HAVE IT ON HAND BEFORE YOU ORDER YOUR RINGS

I know, I know....this slows down the process and will prevent you from being able to run out and shoot your new toy the day you bring it home from the dealer, but trust me...it will save you a lot of headaches.

It's all about eliminating the number of variables you have to deal with.

Most people already know what scope they're going to be mounting on a rifle before they start looking for bases and rings. It's the major purchase they spend the bulk of their time mulling over. As such they will know what the O.D. of the objective bell will be (most manufactures have dimensional drawings or tables on their websites - if they don't, see first paragraph above). As such we've just eliminated that variable from the equation.

As already discussed, Savage actions and barrels are pretty much a fixed size: 1.350" for the action and either 1.050" or 1.120" on the max barrel diameter.

By selecting a base in advance we eliminate that height as a variable, so the only variable we have left that we need to figure out is that of the ring height.

Basic freshman algebra folks (probably 5th grade algebra these days). It's much easier to solve a problem with only one variable than it is one with multiple variables.

Work smarter, not harder.