Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
Thanks LoneWolf,

So even WIPE-OUT is hard on Barrels?
SageRat

I collect old milsurp rifles and many of them have frosted and pitted bores from corrosive primers. And nothing cleans and removes carbon and copper better than foam bore cleaner.

Below a 1943 .303 No.4 Enfield rifle that had foam bore cleaner that was left soak overnight.

The most important thing to remember about foam bore cleaner is it does not and can not cause any bore wear or damage. Meaning more firearms are damaged by improper cleaning with cleaning rods than any other reason. (spare the rod and spoil the bore)

And below is a bore scope photo of a new Savage button rifled bore that is rougher than my pitted and frosted milsurp bores.

Both my milsurp rifles and new button rifled bores will "eat" a copper bore brush and give you a false copper reading.

Below a custom made hand lap barrel.

I clean my rifles with foam bore cleaner every time I shoot my rifles, and shoot a few fowler shots when I go back to the range.

Most people do tend to over clean their rifles "BUT" one shot of foam bore cleaner after each range trip without using a bore brush does no harm to the bore.

Bottom line, a rough bore can strip the copper from the bullet and build up in the bore with each shot. And in my opinion cleaning your rifle wasn't your problem.