Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
Lighter, flatter shooting bullets save more meat if the shooter applies common sense to their shot placement. Hunters here whack Elk, Moose, and Deer with head shots. THAT is how you save meat. Additionally, Elk are kind of dumb, clumsy animals that aren't particularly hard to sneak up on within 200 yards most of the time. Lots of Guys whack 'em with bows inside 50 yds here.
After what I have seen over the years I would say a head shot is one of the least ethical shots there is and a greater risk for the animal to get away. A lot of people go for the neck here but not the head. I have seen deer and elk with their jaw blown off or their face split down the middle with a nasty infection. Last headshot I took hit a cow elk 1/4" below the eye with a 7mag at 200 yards. Blew her sinuses out the other side, had to put one in the chest to drop her. If it wasn't for the follow up shot she would have run off wounded and no blood trail.

Maybe the elk are dumber in Idaho, granted the bulls are easier to sneak up on during the rut because they have one thing on their mind. But from what I have observed they are cunning creatures. And if they wind you, you won't get within 500 yards. Usually get and elk every year but not because they are dumb critters easy to kill

Sent from my SM-A9100 using Tapatalk