Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hearing protection?

Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    I pair them with Surefire EP 7 plugs (NRR 27). Individually neither provide enough protection IMO. Combined, however, for a total of NRR 47 Protection, I fell very safely protected.
    That's not the way double hearing protection is calculated. At best, you will have 32 dB NRR.

From the OSHA Technical Manual - Noise - Appendix E

APPENDIX E—NOISE REDUCTION RATING
    [This appendix will be replaced when the new NRR scheme is promulgated]
    Noise Reduction Ratings
    When OSHA promulgated its Hearing Conservation Amendment in 1983, it incorporated the EPA labeling requirements for hearing protectors (40 CFR 211), which required manufacturers to identify the noise reduction capability of all hearing protectors on the hearing protector package. This measure is referred to as the noise reduction rating (NRR). It is a laboratory-derived numerical estimate of the attenuation achieved by the protector. It became evident that the amount of protection users were receiving in the workplace with the prescribed hearing protectors did not correlate with the attenuation indicated by the NRR. OSHA acknowledged that in most cases, this number overstated the protection afforded to workers and required the application for certain circumstances of a safety factor of 50% to the NRR, above and beyond the 7 dB subtraction called for when using A-weighted measurements. For example, consider a worker who is exposed to 98 dBA for 8 hours and whose hearing protectors have an NRR of 25 dB. We can estimate the worker’s resultant exposure using the 50% safety factor. The worker’s resultant exposure is 89 dBA in this case.
    The 50% safety factor adjusts labeled NRR values for workplace conditions and is used when considering whether engineering controls are to be implemented.
    Estimated dBA exposure = TWA(dBA) – [(25-7) x 50%] = 89 dBA
    Though using the 50% safety factor produces the most reliable result, it is not used for enforcement purposes. For enforcement purposes, CSHOs should subtract 7 dB from the NRR without considering the 50% safety factor.
    Single/Double Hearing Protection
    Dual hearing protection involves wearing two forms of hearing protection simultaneously (e.g. earplugs and ear muffs). The noise exposure for workers wearing dual protection may be estimated by the following method: Determine the hearing protector with the higher rated NRR (NRRh) and subtract 7 dB if using A-weighted sound level data. Add 5 dB to this field-adjusted NRR to account for the use of the second hearing protector. Subtract the remainder from the TWA. It is important to note that using such double protection will add only 5 dB of attenuation. For an example of a calculation of dual hearing protection, see Appendix IV:C. Methods for Estimating HPD Attenuation of the OSHA Noise Safety and Health Topics Page.
    For a more extensive discussion of how to use the NRR, see the NIOSH website. NIOSH has developed guidelines for calculating and using the NRR in various circumstances.
    (http://www2a.cdc.gov/hp-devices/pdfs/calculation.pdf: Method for Calculating and Using Noise Reduction Rating-NRR)
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

hearing protection?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
    That's not the way double hearing protection is calculated. At best, you will have 32 dB NRR.

From the OSHA Technical Manual - Noise - Appendix E
    Ok. Well, that is good to know. I must concede that I am clearly out of my depth here...
    I can only say what has seemed to work for me to this point. I guess I am not as protected as I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Cruising through and saw this. Thought I would add my 2 cents in (and experience)

Whne I was a kid (mid 50s) there were no hearing protection (nor bicycle helmets)

I won't say we shot a lot but certainly some, more 22 than anything, a bit of 38 Revolvers. Never a rifle (too young)

Latter a fair amount of revolver for a few years, again not much rifle.

4 years of construction, on and off around chain saws.

I was maybe 22 when I got my lesson. I was driving Rock Buggies (Euclid R35) with a Detroit 2 cycle. When the bed lifted up the exhaust was exposes (it was spring indexed into the bed, used as a muffler and a source of heat to keep stuff from freezing)

That was great, dump you load, pull away, 12 cyclers just screaming. What not to like at 22, noise, that's cool .

Then one day our buss back to the camp was late, so we were standing around talking, about 20 minutes and I could hear metal start to tink on the engines cooling down.

Hmm, birds singing now to, did that all happen just now or ???????????

When I got back to camp, I went right to the Supply Building and signed for a set of muffs.

I thought I was ok, that was until 5 years ago when I realized I could not hear. Right ear worse than left.

I suspect a the right ear is noise, the left and right seems to have been getting sick (drops came after a couple of sessions with crud)

Upshot is I have a hard time hearing conversations. I am ok with it, I did what I could but I am trying to save what I have.

Medical does not cover hearing aids, Medicaire does not and its about 3k for a decent set, not great, decent.
    They are not super robust and if you loose one........
    My Older brother with a similar work profile has the same issue, worse, he got the aids, he is good with them, lost one but found it latter under his cabin. Phew.

Once they came out with the plugs I wear muffs and plugs.

So I am looking at electronic aids. A cousin commented that his allowed him to hear TV and Radio (and his wife of course)

I appreciate the information.

I agree on the brakes, I think they should be segregated off to one side.

I don't see cans being a help unless they are mandatory for all. Or you can't shoot there if you don't have one.

I don't see a bunch or gun guys letting anyone tell them they have to use them.

Banned
    I just bought a set of the Etymotic. Interesting having them on around the house.

I can hear the key taps on my keyboards very clearly now (in the X mode)

I have one in my worst ear (right side and that would have been the one most exposed to gun blast before I got smarter and got the muff on all the time, too late sadly.

I have hopes it works out better as a poor mans hearing aid as well.

As it is the right ear and my wife is a passenger when we go anywhere (great driver but I am a control nut when it comes to driving) I will be able to hear her as well I hope.

Lot of playing to do with it non shooting. If they work at the range then I can drop the muffs. They do hit the gun stock and annoying at times but worth the extra protection in that case.

More the goal of getting max reduction and knowing it does not double it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12