Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
Was there ever a reason mentioned why they'd have larger screws in the stealth? I don't know what the advantage would be other than maybe just a little bit stronger and now I have another scope base coming my direction that I'll need to send back. I have brand new rifle with zero aftermarket support for a factory machine fit 20 MOA scope base. Probably would have been a non issue if Savage would have supplied a 20 MOA base with the rifle, but they didn't. I love Savage guns, but some times they just do stuff that makes me shake my head and want to give up arguing why they're better than a Remington 700.
I personally haven't seen a reason for the size change, but probably to help with things coming loose. If it were me I would just drill the holes the little bit they'll need, use the OEM screws and move on, but I understand the frustration of not being able to use a list of aftermarket parts from a mild change.

Don't worry, you rifle is still far nicer than any current 700, I went into a store and was disgusted by 3 separate 700 actions, specifically the triggers. I'm only 19, so I haven't actually seen 700's of old that everyone talks about, but I actually ended up with a savage as a second choice after being disappointed by the 700 and surprised by the savage quality, and feature rich designs at the price.

Even the 700 Timney trigger I tried did not impress me over the accutrigger, plus the accustock, large bolt handle, detachable magazine, floating bolt head, and easy barrel swaps on the FCP-SR 10 compared to the more expensive comparable 700 SPS AAC.