Thread: My 10 BA Stealth in 308 needs a scope base

Basic Member

My 10 BA Stealth in 308 needs a scope base

So last night I picked up my new Savage 10 BA Stealth in 308. While I was waiting on the rifle to show up I bought an EGW 20 MOA heavy duty scope base since I knew the factory scope base didn't have any MOA built into it. My plan last night was to simply swap out the scope bases, clean off the top of the receiver and locktite every down good and solid. When I went to put the new scope base mount screws into the receiver I quickly found out the supplied screws were far enough undersized that they didn't even make contact with the threads and just kind of rattled around.

Now I'm heading to the range Sunday, and since I don't get out there that often (3 little kids) I want the rifle setup and ready to go when I get there. It seems really unlikely to me that Savage would make the holes bigger on this particular model than their other 10 series rifles and I'd be willing to bet that it was just a simple mix up on the screws coming from EGW. I've never had an issue with anything EGW and if I wasn't in a time crunch I would just send it back and get a new one. Since I'm in a time crunch and in the event a batch of bad screws went out with those mounts I bought a new scope mount that I'm hoping will fill my needs.

I bought a Nightforce 20 MOA base and I didn't even know they were making them. I was shocked to see it was within the same price of the EGW since most of Nightforce's products are top notch quality and the price tag reflects that. I'll report back on my findings with the Nightforce scope base when it gets in on Friday.

Has anyone else bought a 10 BA Stealth yet and experienced any difference in the scope base mounting hole sizes?

Basic Member
    teddy, I just drilled the screw holes out on my EGW 20moa rail to fit the Savage screws on my Stealth. Easy and no problems. No idea why the difference in hole diameter between the Savage supplied EGW and aftermarket but easily remedied.

Basic Member
    I did try to see if I could swap the screws between mounts and that didn't work. For what I have this rifle for I wanted to know it started out 100% correct.

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
    I did try to see if I could swap the screws between mounts and that didn't work. For what I have this rifle for I wanted to know it started out 100% correct.
    The Stealth does in fact have larger screws than normal, I remember seeing the size mentioned here somewhere. So yes, your rifle is correct.

Basic Member
    Can you tell us where you got your Nightforce mount. My EGW was $40 and the Nightforce at my range is $125 but if I could get the Nightforce for $40 I will change them out.

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by samven View Post
    Can you tell us where you got your Nightforce mount. My EGW was $40 and the Nightforce at my range is $125 but if I could get the Nightforce for $40 I will change them out.
    http://www.opticsplanet.com/nightfor...-std-base.html

They can be found cheaper on ebay, but be very careful, as most of the 40-60 dollar nightforce rails for savage are the flat rear receivers, which wont work with most of the guns here.

Also it should be noted that this base is their "standard duty" base and is aluminum, while the 120 dollar variant is steel. Most people compare the cheaper nightforce and EGW to similar quality.

Mind you I've never had any of these in my hand, but both have a fairly decent reputation and I couldn't make a outweighing decision one way or another on these bases before I decided to go with burris adjustable rings.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samven View Post
    $57 shipped at Midway. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/226...t-action-matte

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.D View Post
    The Stealth does in fact have larger screws than normal, I remember seeing the size mentioned here somewhere. So yes, your rifle is correct.
    Was there ever a reason mentioned why they'd have larger screws in the stealth? I don't know what the advantage would be other than maybe just a little bit stronger and now I have another scope base coming my direction that I'll need to send back. I have brand new rifle with zero aftermarket support for a factory machine fit 20 MOA scope base. Probably would have been a non issue if Savage would have supplied a 20 MOA base with the rifle, but they didn't. I love Savage guns, but some times they just do stuff that makes me shake my head and want to give up arguing why they're better than a Remington 700.

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by teddy12b View Post
    Was there ever a reason mentioned why they'd have larger screws in the stealth? I don't know what the advantage would be other than maybe just a little bit stronger and now I have another scope base coming my direction that I'll need to send back. I have brand new rifle with zero aftermarket support for a factory machine fit 20 MOA scope base. Probably would have been a non issue if Savage would have supplied a 20 MOA base with the rifle, but they didn't. I love Savage guns, but some times they just do stuff that makes me shake my head and want to give up arguing why they're better than a Remington 700.
    I personally haven't seen a reason for the size change, but probably to help with things coming loose. If it were me I would just drill the holes the little bit they'll need, use the OEM screws and move on, but I understand the frustration of not being able to use a list of aftermarket parts from a mild change.

Don't worry, you rifle is still far nicer than any current 700, I went into a store and was disgusted by 3 separate 700 actions, specifically the triggers. I'm only 19, so I haven't actually seen 700's of old that everyone talks about, but I actually ended up with a savage as a second choice after being disappointed by the 700 and surprised by the savage quality, and feature rich designs at the price.

Even the 700 Timney trigger I tried did not impress me over the accutrigger, plus the accustock, large bolt handle, detachable magazine, floating bolt head, and easy barrel swaps on the FCP-SR 10 compared to the more expensive comparable 700 SPS AAC.

Kalison
    Ended up like you with a 20 MOA ordered in to find out they are 8-20 screws. Weaver emailed me and said that the stealth line comes in 338 and 300WM so Savage is making it easy by just drilling and tapping for the larger screws.

Weaver said however, that they did not know about the change and they have no product yet with those new larger screws.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lwood
    EGW list the Stealth chassis as needing 8-40 screws and will drill it with a 1 week lead time for $10 extra
    http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts/...-mount-20-moa/

I know this is an old thread, but for anyone buying an EGW 20 moa rail for a stealth chassis, they are now making them correctly. Just mounted one last week on my 6.5 stealth. Used original screws from the savage base. Be careful with the locktite, no bueno when it gets on your bolt!

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

Old thread but a big help, thanks!

Basic Member
    DNZ 215 TACTICAL All Round Receiver Savage Short Action Height Medium 21.5 MOA 8/40 screws For A Stealth 10 Ba I Bought this for my Savage Ashbury and it won't work Any body need one let me know!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 19E60 View Post
    teddy, I just drilled the screw holes out on my EGW 20moa rail to fit the Savage screws on my Stealth. Easy and no problems. No idea why the difference in hole diameter between the Savage supplied EGW and aftermarket but easily remedied.
    I know this thread is older but I am curious about drilling out holes in an EGW base. Did you have to counterbore the hole to fit the larger 8-40 screws or was the original counterbore hole large enough?

Thank you.

Basic Member
    I haven't been around in some time, but ultimately I ended up selling the rifle. I shot it out to 1,000 yards but only made hits because the plates are 3' diameter circles. I wasn't impressed with the rifle at all and I'm glad I sold it. Currently I'm working up a load for a 700 magpul hunter that has been a better shooter so far. Still a savage fanboy, but the rifle needs to put 1/2" groups on the scoreboard with Fed GMM ammo or I'm just not interested in it. For $1,000 a rifle should do that.

Hi, EGW geo here.

Savage BA and Stealth rifles, 338 rifles are drilled and tapped for the larger #8 screws. The 338 with noticable recoil and the Stealth with the double step longer / heavier rails the #8 screw make sense.

For Us, we make the 80302-8 8xx is our HD rail. 80302 is Savage HD, Short action. the ending 2 is for 20 moa. and the dash 8 is the mount is drilled for and includes #8 screws.
    I went to log on, was registered in 2008 and my membership lapsed. in 2016 we changed over to Torx screws for all our rails. We also include a torx driver with each rail.
    Starting in 2018 we are bagging and sending 5 screws. Seems every 25 or so rails either a thread or a driver is not quite correct.
    We have BARC, people with disabilities bag our screws, good for us, good for the Community. :) and in 100 screws someone can find a bad one, 5 screws should help.

For a Long action BA or Stealth
    80332-8 is factory drilled HD rail with #8 screws.

We can drill the std rail for #8 for you, there is a radio button but it takes a couple days.

, Note, HD rails are .350 tall, machined in our shop out of 7075 which is 80% stronger than 6061, Hard coat anodized and have full cross slots, which you need for throw lever or QD rings.

hope this helps.
    best regards
    geo

www.egwguns.com
    since 1991