Thread: best bang for the buck

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    1) That should work. Heavy long high BC bullets and RL17

2) I dont know anything about millet scopes. Sounds decent but if it is mildot the reticle lines might be too thick for long distance.

EGW base is good.
    Only reason I would absolutely want steel rings are if they are on a steel base. IE everything will expand and contract at the same rate.
    I like the burris 6 screw heavy rings myself but be sure to hone whatever you use. If they are not aligned you can torque the scope. IE millet rings might be chinese. That could also be why your friend shoots slightly tighter groups.

3) Sounds good

4) I dont know anything about accustocks, but it sounds decent. Use it for now and move on later maybe. You might want to ask if you should just bed the recoil lug. Sometimes they dont perfectly mate, but that 6mmBR rifle I had in the choate stock with an alum bedding block that shot 1/4 moa I did nothing to the stock.

5) Sounds good

6) The piece that hangs off the back of the action where the safety is. Should be free floated.

It may be his shooting style. If you havnet got the Parallax correct and dont use the same cheek weld/palm/etc etc then it can make a difference. Also he may have a better scoep, but you are talking a very small difference. If he was consistently shoot 1/4" groups I would say yes but you wont get there without handloading. It will save you money in the end.

Also just because your scope says 100 yards on the dial doesnt mean thats correct. You may have to play with it to find the right setting.

My tightest groups always came from shooting free or semi free recoil. That was with lower recoiling rounds like 223 and 6mmBR. Also 30BR was doable.
    Last edited by tammons; 04-18-2015 at 05:20 PM.