Thread: Everyone who owns a BOYDs stock!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mach2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigeclipse View Post
    true I was mainly concerned about the rear pillar. When you fabricate your rear pillar did you first install the pillars and then cut the rear for the clearance for the sear or did you cut for sear first and then install?
    If you use a thin rear pillar such as copper from an old water heater element or pneumatic tubing it is thinner and clears the sear. I have seen pillars from Brownells that are beefier and wont clear the sear. Using lamp post tubing can be a problem for the rear pillar since it is fairly wide. This is true for Boyds stocks for some Mausers thus a thinner pillar is needed. The rear pillar requires a little rearrangement and thinking. I try to avoid filing anything off the sear by way of thinner pillar or filing one side of the rear pillar flat in order to clear. Play it by ear because different models need more or less clearance..

Pillars and glass bedding are both methods of bedding. I have never glass bedded a pillared stock(double bedding). Some do both. I'm sure iy can't hurt accuracy to do both.

I think youll like the Boyds. Make sure you get the right stock. Savages have a lot of different action screw placements. This makes ordering stocks tricky
    Last edited by Mach2; 01-20-2015 at 04:18 PM.