How much you could save depends on what kind of deal you might get on a used action. Buying locally will save you shipping and FFL fees, though. Honestly, it's tough to beat the price of a Hog Hunter if you sell-off the barrel and other parts you might not want. Doing so could bring the cost of the action to about $325. When you consider the cost of shipping and the FFL, it is really hard to find a deal on Gunbroker for a used action/rifle that will beat the Hog Hunter route. On the other hand, sometimes you can get lucky and find a rifle/scope/stock combo that others don't recognize. For example, I recently bought a used 110 30-06 with an SWFA 20x scope on it. The seller did not specify what the scope was, apparently assumed it was worthless (most of them are) and I ended up getting it all for $420. After selling the wood stock, scope, and barrel, The action only cost me $110. and, the person who bought the scope got a really good deal, too. Same thing happened awhile back when I got a $200 Burris scope for virtually nothing. Just gotta keep looking. If you enjoy that sort of thing, it's great. It's like playing "American Pickers." :) If you don't have time or enough knowledge about what you find, it might back-fire. In that case, I think it's a safe bet going with the Hog Hunter and sell-ff what you don't want. Plenty of guys here and on e-bay will be happy to buy that barrel.