Quote Originally Posted by joeb33050 View Post
My Lyman STS scopes compare favorably with modern scopes-Weaver T36 for example. While the STS scopes are in 10, 12, 15, 20, 25 and 30 X, the T36 is 36X, but side by side there's little difference in optical quality, the Lymans being only slightly better. I have no Nightforce etc $1000+ new scopes, never saw the advantage after side by side looking. The Unertls are as good as the STS scopes, Litschert/Davis optics are better in my opinion, construction is not up to par. I like the ability to put these scopes on Savage rifles, easy on and off, and the micrometer adjustments are easy to read and record. Why are T36 scopes 9 min/" per revolution?
Joe its got nothing to do with the optical quality. You are correct in that optical quality will rival many of todays scopes.
If your simply using those scopes for punching holes in paper at close distances you will be ok.
If however you intend using them for hunting for varmits or even long range shooting you will soon see the limitations of those scopes.
#1 will be the very limited field of view in both scopes. You might already know the difficulty in finding the target you intend shooting at.
The t36 weaver is a highly regarded scope by serious bench rest shooters. there are several of them on this site who could offer better information
than i can on this scope. The 9 minit per rev question means the scope has 9 minits or 36 clicks for each time you make a full turn on the dial. That would
depend upon click value however. My answer is assuming 1/4 min clicks. 1/8 min would be double or 72 clicks. That why minits are better than counting clicks.
a minit is always a minit, 1" @100 yds regardless of how many clicks.
On the other hand the exterior micrometer on the lyman is a different animal.
If your scope block spacings are 14. 5" apart center to center you will have 1/8 min adjustments on the dial. If they are half that distance you will have 1/4 min
adjustments. Inything else and you wont know for sure what you have till you shoot and program it.
If all this sounds complicated to you its only because it is. Thats what i meant by my comment about moving on.
Take the cash and run, you will never be sorry.