Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
Well, I'd look at it this way. If you shoot a bullet, any bullet no matter what the construction, into a 2" piece of pine timber and the bullet blows a 4" diameter hole out of the other side, then take the same bullet and shoot it thru a 4" piece of pine, then a 6" piece of pine, and on and on until you reach….say a 12" piece of pine and at that point the bullet will not exit, you will also find that the exit hole become smaller and smaller as the timber becomes thicker.

That's the "density" of the material the bullet is hitting. No different than the bullet hitting a big deer or a small deer. Same principles apply. How could it be different? Why would it be different? The bullet is going to travel thru more deer mass…it would have to act different.

Dave
I understand that the size of the mass of the deer are going to affect how far the bullet will go and in turn how much tissue damage will occur--but to me the real problem here is that the bullet--as designed with quick-expanding tip--is going too fast and is going to explode on impact, imparting catastrophic tissue damage regardless of the size of the deer. I'm thinking the only relevance the size of the deer has on whether the bullet explodes is how much tissue there is to absorb the impact force--but the tissue trauma from the shattering bullet (not over-all area) effect will be essentially the same.