Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
Well Thermaler, I think your asking a valid question. And IMHO (and remember…your getting what you paid for) in a perfect world, if your shooting a 275-lb whitetail on a broadside shot, through the lungs or the lower heart shot, vs a broadside shot on a 110-lb whitetail on a broadside shot, through the lungs or the lower heart shot, your likely going to get the same results. Why? Because the width of each deer (the 275 vs the 110) really isn't significant enough to make a difference in a bullet with a MV of 2700+fps. Yes, the bullet may not exit the larger deer, but it's likely to punch thru both lungs of both deer, or take out the blood pump of either.

Now, the above was in a "perfect broadside shot world." Of course, if your shot is a quarter-too, or quarter-away, and the hunter doesn't place the bullet where he wanted to (for a variety of reasons) and say the said bullet catches a large bone, plus a lot of heavy meat, the lower velocity RUM bullet may simply not reach the boiler room. Where if the same bullet were shot at "full boat" from the RUM, it more than likely would reach the liver, lung or heart, and cause certain death of the game. (Of course, I don't want to get into the discussion of a gut shot)

At a gun club that I previously belonged to, it was primarily a hunting club and most members would butcher their deer at the club's very high quality facility. So, many times, previous years arrow heads, or bullets would be found in a current years kill. Interesting to see how not to shoot deer at certain angles with a bow or an under caliber bullet.

FWIW, and I hope I answered what I thought was your question.

Dave
Thanks for the useful info--it helps me to continue my understanding. I may be misunderstanding the thread--but my impression is that what the OP is talking about is the issue of using a high-powered, high velocity round which exploded internally demolishing large quantities of tissue. Then some guy said his dad used a lower power version of the same kore lokt and the bullet simply entered and exited the smaller deer without exploding or otherwise causing massive damage to internal tissue. He was then reminded that they were small deer--not big ones--as if the size of the deer was a factor in whether or not the bullet exploded with devastating effect--and I'm having trouble understanding how the relative size of the deer would have any effect on whether or not a bullet explodes on impact--it seems to me it either does or doesn't regardless of size. Won't be the first time I'm clueless. : )