WBM: thanks for the positive reinforcement. I'ver never been to New Mexico, but if I go, I'll try to remember to look you up. If you are ever in the central PA area, let me know ahead of time and I'll try to get together over a few beverages (adult or otherwise) and some food. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and some shootin' buddies...what could be better?

Thermaler, from what I have heard (and I don't own a 300 WM and it's been a long time since I shot one) and from what I recollect, there is a difference in the "feel" of shotgun recoil and rifle recoil. Shotgun recoil is a hard push (Sometimes it feels like a push from a big foot with a heavy boot on) and rifle recoil tends to be sharper, more like a hammer blow. I speak is sweeping generalizations here, not fact-based number crunching.

I also recall reading somewhere that the diameter of the projectile changed the apparent feel of recoil. I think it also has to do with the burn rate of the powder to some extent. My recollection is that a smaller diameter projectile in a cartridge that produces XX pounds of recoil will feel harder or have more "impact" than a larger diameter projectile with the also produces XX recoil.

I guess the upshot is that recoil is very subjective and your experiences with a shotgun might or might not be an indication of how you perceive the 300 WinMag recoil.

That said, I am by no means trying to steer you away from 300 WinMag if that is your choice...just trying to work the discussion around to as many of the different factors that folks consider when selecting a cartridge and building a rifle.