Good stuff to read at Accurateshooter.com:
Q: Do you sometimes use the free-recoil method? Can it ever work with a bipod?

Free recoil will not produce the desired result with a .308. I tried that more than a couple of times. No dice. My technique works for me. But I won’t argue with the way Tony Boyer shoots a 6PPC.

And don’t even think of shooting free recoil off a bipod. It just doesn’t work because you don’t want those legs bouncing backwards out of control.

When shooting with a bipod it is essential that the bipod be adjusted properly for elevation and cant. The bipod must be of good quality. I like Harris swivel bipods with notched legs. When the bipod is set up properly, and if you push slightly forward with the rifle to firm up the ‘pod’s legs, excellent results can be realized with lots of practice.

Q: What is best advice to newbies looking to improve their accuracy?

The most accuracy that you can get out of a .308 (or any centerfire rifle for that matter) will always be by handloading your own ammunition. You can tune the load to your gun and realize its full potential.

My suggestion to a new shooter would be to get some good instruction from a pro, take a class in precision shooting, read everything you can about all of the shooting sports and get on the internet if you have access and talk to forum groups. Most of these guys will give you tons of great advice.

Visit websites such as Snipers Hide, Westcoast Tactical, Benchrest Central–there are numerous other sites. Log on, ask good questions, be respectful, listen, learn and practice as much as you can.

There is still no substitute for trigger time. I shoot 3500-4000 centerfire rifle rounds a year in three different calibers. Plus a lot of rimfire.

BTW, anyone looking to improve their centerfire rifle skills should spent a LOT of time behind the trigger of an accurate .22 rifle. Rimfire practice, even at 50 yards, really helps improve your focus and trigger control. I have a couple of 10/22s I accurized myself, and they are tack-drivers