Thread: Nikon Monarch VS Leuopld

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Westcliffe01
    Do you know if you accidentally rotated the turret in that incident ? Do you have a steel rail and rings ? Do you loctite the base to the receiver ? I sometimes find it a bit sad seeing the massive tactical rings some people put on their guns with 6 screws per ring holding the cap on, when the entire rail is held on with 4 tiny screws half the size of the ones holding the rings together. And then a cheap aluminum base !

I have had a few different incidents and so far none of my scopes has ever lost zero, that includes Weaver, Nikon and Vortex. I will say though, that the repeatability of the turrets on my Weaver scopes really sucked. It took a few shots to get the reticle to settle down on its final position and I always overshot the intended correction sighting in. However, once sighted in and checked with about 12 rounds, they have all stayed put.

On My Monarch and the Viper PST I have no concerns using the turrets, I just have to remember to keep the turret cover in my pocket if it is my Nikon... And since it is a low profile turret, there is only space for a single row of engraving, but I figure I would be wasting my time trying to shoot beyond 650 yards with my 223 anyway... With the Vortex, I just make sure the index marks are still zeroed when I take it out the case. It is easy to forget that you dialed up 3 or 4 minutes on the last shot. That is unfortunately a fact of life with exposed turrets and they need to be checked before you are in your hunting position, at which point I don't dare turn any form of light on or I will spook any game in a 200 yard radius (i am always getting in position in the pitch dark before dawn).

One thing I will agree with is that Nikon Customer service is not comparable to the US manufacturers. Half the time you end up talking to someone in NYC who I doubt has even looked through a scope. When I had an issue with my "Spot on" on line turret order, I ended up getting helped by a pro sport guy who was in marketing and based in Texas. I couldn't get any sense out of the people in the NY corporate office.

Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    I bumped my rifle by accident once, and the rifle did not even make it to the ground, yet it did a bump off of a door jamb.....and that was enough to toss the scope off. I was very surprised by this. My Leupolds have been through bigger bumps and held their zero's but the Vortex did not.

Dave
    Last edited by Westcliffe01; 10-03-2012 at 06:03 PM.