Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex
pdog, so I need to prevent the action from slipping while I turn the nut? no need to hold the barrel?
You can do it either way, but if the nut is really tight the barrel could spin in the blocks(and scar the barrel), or the action could warp(cause nothing is supporting it), or it just spins on the threads. Dont get me wrong, I have done it this way for a long time with good results, but also had a few barrels that I had a heck of a time removing. Along with some that I couldnt get off. I bought an action wrench and never looked back. Now I can change barrels on the trunk of my car, or tailgate of my truck, or wherever i need to(dont laugh, members here have seen me do this).

Even though the nut is threaded onto the barrel, it still locks itself to the action and recoil lug. They are the two items that need broken loose so why not put wrenches on them. Plus you will not take the chance of warping an action on the tough jobs.

Just to see it a different way, look at it like a nut and bolt you are trying to break loose. You put one wrench on the nut. Now would you put wood blocks on the threaded part of the bolt to hold it or would you put a wrench on the hex head of the bolt. and unlock the two?