I recently bought my first savage, a 10FP in .223 varmint barrel 20" with a serial of G124***. It has the accutrigger but a very lightweight, seemingly hollow, stock and a staggered blind mag.

I'm looking to upgrade this on a budget into my first short/medium range target rifle. First thought is to changeout the stock, possibly for a Boyd Tacticool or similar, to give a bit more weight and solidity. As I'm in the UK, options are limited and generally expensive. However, I might be coming to the US for a couple of weeks later in the year and so I'm thinking about picking up whatever bits I need to make the upgrade and bring back with me. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the tacticool stock or others in the budget range that might be suitable. Budget for the stock is probably around $200.

I'm also wondering if it's possible to convert the staggered blind mag to a detachable mag. A 10 round mag would open up a number of competitions that wouldn't be possible with the blind mag due to reloading speed. If I'm buying a new stock, would I just need the appropriate bottom metal and a mag if the stock is already designed for a detachable mag or would there still need to be a fair amount of work on the stock to make everything fit? Searching on this site, most conversions seem to be for centre feed mags rather than staggered.

I'd like to replace the stock bolt handle to something longer to give a little additional clearance around the scope, which is a bit chunky. I'd welcome suggestions for something again on a budget that would be suitable. I can hunt through google but it's always good to get recommendations from people who've tried these things. It looks like swapping the bolt handle is a pretty simple option so I'd like one that is a direct changeout rather than having to send the handle away to be modified as that's not going to be possible on the time scale I'm in the US for.

Many thanks for the help.