Thread: Upgrading savage 16/116

Basic Member

Upgrading savage 16/116

Hi all, I'm new here and new to Savage rifles. I've been living in the AR world for what seems forever, but I recently acquired a Savage 16/116 Weather Warrior chambered in 270WSM. I believe it is an FCSS- it has a blind box magazine.

I'd like to replace the stock and add a scope rail/ base to it. Down the road I'll probably rebarrel it to a 300WSM. For now, I'll just do the stock and the scope base and enjoy the gun for what it is, but the stock is terrible.

My problem is the barrel is a sporter contour and most of the stocks I like are made for a heavier contour. I plan on using this for a hunting rig and was looking at B&C Medalist M40 on Stocky's right now but that is what I have in mind, although I'm up for other options.

The rifle has a top bolt release and I was also hoping to get some new bottom metal so I could add a drop out mag for 3 rounds. I'm having a hard time with that.

Anyway, any advise or help would be great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you care about what it looks like, I don't understand why a larger than "needed" barrel channel would matter?
    Stocks are easy to come by. so just depends upon what you want.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Wouldn't be an FCSS as the C would indicate detachable box. Probably a 16FS with 16 indicating a short action, F indicating synthetic stock and S indicating stainless.
    Work up a good load and shoot it, you'll in most cases be pleasantly surprised. I have a couple that are stunners right out of the box.
    I'd recommend 2 piece scope bases for the model you have as they provide a little extra room for the loading/ejection port.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I am considering a Stockade Mule Deer.

I don't know what the wait times are at Stockade these days, the last time I checked it made me decide to look elsewhere. Really there isn't that much difference between the prices that I wouldn't rule out Manners or McMillan, I realize that these cost on average $100-200 more for the non-ultralight stocks. However, I ask what is a 8-12 month wait worth to you?

Basic Member
    I understand not wanting a oversized barrel channel, for a hunting rifle. Too much chance for dirt and debris and who knows what, to get in there. I wouldn't want it even for a non hunting rifle. Just looks mismatched. Why spend extra $$$ for something that does not fit?

An oversized barrel channel might be a new trend. Brag on the barrel cooling characteristics.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Wouldn't be an FCSS as the C would indicate detachable box. Probably a 16FS with 16 indicating a short action, F indicating synthetic stock and S indicating stainless.
    Work up a good load and shoot it, you'll in most cases be pleasantly surprised. I have a couple that are stunners right out of the box.
    I'd recommend 2 piece scope bases for the model you have as they provide a little extra room for the loading/ejection port.
    That's good info on my gun. I just hate the stock with how flimsy it is and how it isn't free-floated, that's my main reason for wanting to swap it. I don't think I'll do a rebarrel any time soon. I was inspecting it since it was used, but I swear this gun has never been fired. It is as clean as a new gun. Any particular suggestion on a 2 piece scope mount?

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    I understand not wanting a oversized barrel channel, for a hunting rifle. Too much chance for dirt and debris and who knows what, to get in there. I wouldn't want it even for a non hunting rifle. Just looks mismatched. Why spend extra $$$ for something that does not fit?
    Ya debris is a concern, but I would think it might look bad. Looks aren't everything, but they're definitely something!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    An oversized barrel channel might be a new trend. Brag on the barrel cooling characteristics.
    Haha. I've never had good luck setting trends...

I also have some other questions related to the receiver. Mine should fit stocks and bottom metal for a Savage 10, correct? I can't find much of anything for a 16. And where do I measure for the spacing on the action? I see a few different measurement options when I'm looking for a stock. Is there one that corresponds to a top bolt release?

Basic Member
    Bump

Banned
    Boyds makes a Laminated light weight hunter stock. Mine is in Thumb hole but I think there are other options.

I like the wood looks and they are extremely stable, i.e. composite is not the only options.

When I wanted different for my 116 (bottom bolt release I converted to sop) I went down through the choices that were for top bolt release.

I think I wound up with a 111 or some such.

YOu can get thicker recoil pad and various finish options.

Basic Member
    I hear a lot about Boyd's but I've had really poor customer service experiences with them in the past, which is why I haven't been looking at them much.

Any suggestions for bottom metal? And can anyone verify if I can order model 10 parts that will fit?

Basic Member
    16 uses same stocks as 10. 16 is simply SS version.

The action screw hole is 4.4 inches (all center feed short actions are 4.4). As you said, yours is top bolt release.

Therefore, ask for Short action Model 10 (or 11, 12, 16, all are the same) Center feed (4.4 inch action screw spacing), top bolt release.

Basic Member
    Thank you. That is perfect information.