Sorry for the detail, but I think it might be necessary to answer the question.

I've got a new model 11 Trophy Hunter XP in .308. This is the package with the Nikon Pro-Staff(ish) scope. The results so far are not good. This is the first rifle I've tried to zero myself, and I haven't done much high powered rifle shooting. Most of my rifle shooting is .22 LR and .223. I can consistently hit quarter sized targets at 50 yards with my good .22 off a bi-pod, so not all issues are shooter-caused.

I've put about 70 rounds through the rifle in two or three range trips. The bore has been cleaned after each trip.

After initially horrible results, I figured out the scope ring screws had worked loose. After tightening the screws, on the next trip I zeroed the scope shooting off a sled at 25 yards. I didn't measure the groups, but the three holes were nearly touching. I then moved out to 200 yards shooting off the bi-pod and some from the sled. Point of impact would vary from 3"-8" from point of aim. I did not measure a group, but I would guess it would be 4"-6". At the end of the shooting, I noticed my bi-pod attachment screw had loosened. I estimate wind on all trips to be 5-8 mph quartering.

I know flinching might be an issue, but I don't have a good way to check for it. The shots seem erratic rather than consistently off one direction or another. Also, elevation varies less than windage. At one point, four or five shots were within about 2" of elevation at 200 yards. With many of the shots the barrel is warm, but you can hold your hand on it.

I have used Federal American Whitetail 150 grain and PMC fmj 147 grain ammo. About 60 of the rounds have been the PMC. The Whitetail was all likely shot with loose rings.

I've dug around the threads here and know for the next trip I need to 1) confirm the barrel and tang are floating; 2) make sure everything stays tight; 3) ditch the sled and go with sandbags with the forward bag near the action screw; 4) shoot some of something like Sierra Match King 168 grain; 5) do some shooting at 100 yards; 6) experiment with a dirtier bore; and 7) shoot for groups rather than bullseyes.

I've also learned that I probably ought to eventually replace the factory bases and rings for the scope. My main question is should I keep tinkering with the rifle on the factory hardware or am I just wasting ammo shooting with the factory scope hardware?

Any other tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.