I went with a bare rifle Axis .223 and started with a 4x Bushnell but swapped in a Redfield Revenge 4-12x42 this weekend. Trying to keep in the spirit of the Axis price point. While shooting a friends pre accu-trigger Model 10 .223 I decided it was imperative I get a .223 bolt action rifle. This seemed like a natural based on price of rifle and cost of ammo. First impression was how ever not great. The "tupperware" stock still bothers me a little. The trigger was easy enough swap out the spring, shim a little good to go. I thought this would be a great beginner rifle at the price point but after owning one I see it as more a tweakers choice. Bone stock this rifle does not excite! Put a few hours into it and it begins to raise your pulse rate. Don't see myself buying another but who knows. The model 10 FCXP would not break the budget either and have much more available from the aftermarket. But Gmacs idea of adding a m1a type mag will keep me tweaking this thing and hopefully loving it for a number of years. I'm having a good time with it thats for sure. Figure mods for a m1a type mag and re-working or replacing the stock will make good winter projects.

$266 for rifle
$19.99 BlackHawk picatiny rail
$20 Weaver mounts
$219 Redfield scope

Total $524.99

Still considering a sling and a bi-pod.
Left out tax since I get a 10% discount through work.