Thread: B22 Action Pillars Stuck in Stock

B22 Action Pillars Stuck in Stock

I have a B22 FV-SR. I tried to remove the 2 action screws so I could work on the stock, like I've done half a dozen times. But instead of the screws coming out of the action pillars, the pillars unscrewed from the action leaving the pillars and action screws stuck in the stock. Both pillars, not just one. I could probably make a tool to get them out, but... Anyone run into this before? What did I do to cause this?

Basic Member
    Hi Glider, I've never had that occur. One 'guess' could be that you had them 'too tight' when you reassembled last time ? On my 22lrs I only torque the action to about 20-i-p - just a bit 'past snug'. If you have a T-wrench you could experiment with that and tighter but I'd venture that 35-40 should be the max unless you see accuracy improvements as you progress.
    Just my best guess, hope this helps.

Basic Member
    Sorry, I overlooked a solution to the real problem. If your stock is wood, perhaps heating would cause it to shrink a bit to release the pillars. If it's synth, perhaps cooling the pillars would shrink them a bit. Also, if synth a lube could help. I would not use any sort of lube-silicone-ptfe if the stock is wood, that stuff is like 'forever' once applied to wood. Only can be removed with the 'affected' wood I think.
    best wishes . . .

Thanks Fasteddie01. I didn't have a small torque wrench, but I do now. Manual says 20 in/lbs, same as what you said. I probably overtightened the screws a little, but no a lot, I think. Weird design.

Basic Member
    Glider, Just a thought, but while you have it dis-assembled maybe loktite the pillars onto the action ? Then let it set-up a day b4 putting back together. "Belt and Suspenders" . . . but Don't loctite the screws !

Fasteddie, I would need to build some sort of tool to get the post/pillars out of the stock without damaging the threads. And the threads on the front pillar look slightly damaged already. So, I contacted Savage and they said that this shouldn't have happened, and that they would fix or replace at no charge. I've got other toys to play with, so I shipped it out. I'll be sure to use a torque wrench going forward.

Basic Member
    That's good customer service there !! Be sure to update this thread when you get it back. . . hopefully they will tell you what was wrong so it can be avoided - also to warn others.