Thread: Which Trigger Replacement?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by ky-n View Post
    The safety is stiff moving to the SAFE position, it moves to the OFF SAFE easily. The part I am calling the safety bar is this part:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sav Safe.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	10500

The rifle is pre Accutrigger with a F41xxxx serial number.
    I had the same issue with my old Accutrigger. It too was on a 12BvSS.

I originally thought I had a misalignment of the Safety Bar notches with the Safety Bar Travel spring. After several removals and inspections that was not the case.

Then I started playing with the Overtravel Screw. At first I was adjusting it with too much aggression. The Safety Bar either would not move to the safety position at all or if it would move to the safe position it would allow for firing.

Then I decided to go into fine adjustment mode. I gently moved the Overtravel Screw until it just touched the Safety Bar. When the Safety Switch would not move I would back the screw out less then a 1/16 of a turn. I continued do this until the Safety Switch covered up the red dot on the receiver and moved smove. All the time ensuring the trigger could not be pulled and allowing a fire. I moved the safety to center position and still no fire. Finally I got it. But again the screw was moved very little off the Safety Bar. Noe-the-less it was positioned off the Saftey Bar and "NOT" touching it.

Of course later on the internet I found info to ensure the Safety timing was correct for an accutrigger they recommended touching the Overtravel Screw to the Safety Bar and backing off ~1/4 turn. I suppose that is about where my Overtravel Screw sits.

What happens is the Overtravel Screw puts pressure on the back of the Safety Bar. Because of this the spring will inherently exert less pressure on the notch for Fire which is located on the front of the Safety Bar. When you move the safety switch forward the spring has to jump into the two remaining slots on the Safety Bar Thus when you move to the Safe position it hinders that jump if there is to much pressure on the back of the Safety Bar where the Safe Position Safety Bar notch is. It is not friction from the the Overtravel Screw to Safety Bar that controls the SAFETY.

Thus it's really not a true trigger Overtravel Screw, it's a Safety Adjustment screw. If you think of it that way instead of a means to stop the trigger from bottoming out. Adjustment makes more sense.

NOTE: This the Screw is free floating thus is will need the application of a good thread locking glue on it. NO RED LOCTITE!
    Last edited by LDSILLS; 03-13-2024 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added a sentenace about thread locking