Quote Originally Posted by pdog06
Quote Originally Posted by titus2423
Someone hit the buck in the shoulder so it was walking on 3 legs. When he finally had a clear shot on him, he put a .300 Savage round through his heart and dropped him in the spot. The guy who shot the shoulder out said "You found my deer." FF-I-L said "No, that's my deer. I'm the one who made the shot that counted." The guy was kind of torqued but he understood that all he did was wounded it and walked off.
Your FFIL is correct! The one that puts the "kill" shot on it is the one who should claim it. I guess that could differ if you and a few buddies were tracking one you shot and they shot it for you during tracking or something.

Was the guy who shot it first actually tracking the deer, or just came over when he heard the shot from your FFIL? Doesnt really matter. It came walking by your FFIL and they werent hunting together, so it is his deer IMO.
He was tracking it, only because every time he got close to it, it would get up and hobble away. I think he was right in every aspect of how he went about it, and I'm not just sayin that because he'll be family some day. I completely agree. You kill it, you tag it.

Finally got one on Friday. Got her at about 3:20. I was with my future father-in-law and another hunting buddy. We had just walked out of one set of woods and gotten into another when a couple of guys in an elevated blind told us we kicked some deer out and they circled back in. Since I hadn't gotten one yet, it was my call to go after them so I said "Why not?" I posted in the corner of a field that was against the woods the deer came out of. The two guys I was with went about 150 and 300 yards down the field to push the deer back towards me. It worked perfectly! The deer came up along the field edge about 10 yards into the woods. The lead doe came up right next to me at 10 yards and didn't even see me. I pulled the gun up and fired. I managed to screw it up and hit her low; as she was going down a hill in another field, all I could see was her backside and snow flyin all around. I shattered both shoulders. Ugh...I go after her and she kept getting up and moving.I shot at her again but she hopped away as I fired and missed. I finally got close to her and she wasn't getting up anymore. Sent one to her head and, just as I did, she flopped it around and I misses again. I collected myself for a couple minutes and finally sent one at her head that connected. I'm a bit ashamed of myself for screwing up the initial shot but what matters is she did not suffer long and she'll make for some good dinners. Sorry for the book guys. Now for a pic...

By the way, the gun is empty. Emptied her out before she was field dressed and this is just where we stopped for a break and some pics. That's the good ole 200 Stevens in .270 leanin' against the deer. First season in 6 years, and the first deer with that gun. What a year!

[img width=600 height=450]http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/titus2423/IMG_0077.jpg[/img]