Thread: Ejection Port Size vs Caliber Change

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ejection Port Size vs Caliber Change

Project started out as a Steven's 200 chambered in .223 Remington which is a short action cartridge. I swapped the barrel to a 6.5 Creedmoor and completed all necessary changes like the bolt face swap and will use this as single shot only for the time being unless I can sort out the bottom metal in the future but this should be unrelated to my issue. The problem is that the ejection port appears to be too small for a live 6.5cm round to be ejected. The scenario being that I load and chamber a cartridge and choose not to fire so I attempt to make safe by ejecting the live round to clear the chamber but the live round gets hung up on the ejection port while its snapped into the bolt face and extractor.

I assumed since both cartridges were short action that this wouldnt be a problem. Is this a Steven's 200 specific problem because I dont recall ever hearing issues about these caliber swaps on the 110's?

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Basic Member
    First off, learn not to chamber a round unless you are sure you will fire the round.
    Second, assuming for some reason you dont fire it, simply pull the bolt to remove the round.
    You can apply some pressure on the case as you do to keep it from rubbing on the action as you remove it.
    You can also remove the ejector so that dosent happen, and just manually remove a fired case.
    You could also enlarge the port on the back end to allow for it to eject.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    First off, learn not to chamber a round unless you are sure you will fire the round.
    Second, assuming for some reason you dont fire it, simply pull the bolt to remove the round.
    You can apply some pressure on the case as you do to keep it from rubbing on the action as you remove it.
    You can also remove the ejector so that dosent happen, and just manually remove a fired case.
    You could also enlarge the port on the back end to allow for it to eject.
    While I strive for the level of perfection you speak of, sometimes it doesnt work out in my favor. I'll try to do better. With that being said, the ability to clear the chamber of a firearm safely is one of the basic functions a firearm should have the ability to perform. Mine is failing to do that. My ability to foresee the future as to whether a shot will be taken or not is something for a different thread.

However, the last portion of your response Is somewhat helpful. How much could safely be removed from the ejection port and still maintain structural integrity of the action? Is this a common modification that people are performing when it comes to these caliber changes?

Banned
    Valid point you have bullfrog, as you MAY encounter a misfire FTF at some point, which has nothing to do with your INTENTION to fire the round. But yes, you have a few choices as to remedying the issue. BTW, you may want to chamber a bullet loaded case(minus powder/primer), just to be sure. It may still eject without anything special. I’d check first.

Basic Member
    The only bullet I've had that problem with on my Sav 10 action conversion to 6.5 CM is when I load A-Tips out far enough to seat into the lands. All other bullets will eject properly. Are you loading A-Tips?
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    There are different size baffles available that go right behind the locking lugs. The right side (assuming it's a right hand action) will be longer or shorter depending on the cartridge it was built for. A shorter one allows for more rearward bolt travel. Perhaps try that and see if it will allow the round to eject.

Basic Member
    Its not all that uncommon when using short actions with cases not originally intended for use in those actions.
    As for not loading untill your ready to shoot, it is a common practice for many who hunt long range.
    But it still isnt an issue to remove a loaded round if necessary by just pulling the bolt.
    One of my guns has no ejector or bolt stop for that reason.
    As for opening up the port on the back side, ask yourself where the pressure is on the action?
    There is no difference between long and short actions other than length of the port.
    Open the bolt fully and see how much space there is between the bolt face and the port.
    Then ask yourself why some of that space cant be utilized by opening the port.
    Im using 300 Wetherby cases in a short action gun and i can extract the empty cases, but not loaded ones.
    And ive been using it that way for about 40 years.
    Will it affect the resale value of the gun? yes.