Thread: Documented results from replacing the 12 FV factory stock with an Oryx Chassis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Bumped by accident. Please delete.

Banned
    SO did you use the 36x target scope on the rifle before the stock change ?
    cause the scope you started with would basically invalidate any comparison(pos)

Basic Member
    Hey Mike, give me a little credit for knowing how to perform a valid comparison.
    I've only been doing comparisons like this for 50 years.

Since the scope I started with on first day that I shot the 12 FV with the factory stock was the same Sightron scope I used when I switched to the Oryx chassis, how could that invalidate the comparison?
    All the comparative data with the factory stock and the Oryx platform listed was using the exact same Sightron scope, not the same model, but the exact same scope.
    The stock was the only item different in the comparison.

The Sightron scope wasn't even moved off the 12 FV receiver.
    I just removed the factory stock and dropped the 12 FV rifle with the scope still mounted into the Oryx chassis leaving the scope attached to the receiver.
    I compared the data shot with the factory stock with the Sightron scope only to the data shot with the same Sightron scope on the Oryx chassis.

If you read some of my later treads, you probably noticed that I changed to a Leupold 45x45mm scope about the time the range reopened.
    I got the scope from a buddy who moved just after COVID hit and they closed our range.
    I needed to order rings for the Leupold scope so it was mounted during the time the range was closed.

The last post with data on this thread was on March 20th, 4 days after they closed our range for COVID.
    The data in the post that compared the results for the factory stock and Oryx chassis was all gathered before the range was closed.
    I shot for the last time with the Sightron scope, the day before the range closed.

On May 20th, I hadn't even mounted the the Leupold scope on the 12 FV yet.
    I mounted the new rings and the Leupold on the Oryx chassis so a reasonable comparison of the Sightron and the Leupold could only be between data shot with the Oryx chassis.

On the later thread, only one item (the Leupold scope replacing the Sightron scope) was being changed and would be compared on a later compilation thread that I just posted.
    But I hadn't shot enough rounds with the Leupold to do any comparisons until the Fall, well after the range reopened in May.
    The factory stock will never be mounted on the 12 FV again so a comparison of the Leupold on the Oryx chassis versus the Leupold on the Factory stock will not be possible.

Banned
    no i was commenting on the 8-32x pos you started with...your post not mine

"Leatherwood 8-32x56mm scope"

Basic Member
    While you were picking nits you should have read a bit further.

In the first post for the 12 FV on 3-19-2019, I did report "I mounted a cheap Leatherwood 8-32x56mm scope I bought on a big sale but never used just to break in the new rifle. Based on these results, I think there is a scope upgrade in this rifle's future."
    In post #7, the next post with data on 3-21-2019, I reported "I had a new scope loosen up when I was shooting the 60 TMK load and lost some groups. It also may be why that load didn't shoot too well."
    I didn't wait long to replace the cheap Leatherwood scope, did I.

I quickly realized during break-in that the cheap bargain scope was a bad choice and mounted the Sightron 36X which stayed on the 12-FV until after our range was closed for COVID almost exactly one year later. All my comparison data included only the data from the Sightron scope.

In my compilation of data in my most recent thread on the 12 FV .223, I compared the Sightron and Leupold 45X scope but that was only with the Oryx chassis.

Banned
    well i was lost in your text
    you mentioned the 8-32x was unused, and then said the "new" scope came loose....
    you never said what the "new"scope was, and the 8-32x was the last actual mention of a scope.